Outside The Lines {6}

Start from the beginning

                “Our dad taught him to play when he was really little. He’s been amazing at it ever since he was nine years old,” Thalia said, rolling her eyes. “It’s how he makes money. Friends, family…Anyone who can play is a target for Theo.”

                “I remember when I won $50 off of grandpa,” I said fondly. “He’s hated me ever since.”

                “I’m pretty familiar with the game thanks to my own father. But we’ll play another time, little Theodore,” Dimitri said, smirking. “Perhaps after dinner.”

                “Deal,” I said. Pool was something I could no doubt beat Dimitri at. Maybe I could even make a bet that he would have to leave me alone when I won.

                “Boys,” Thalia grumbled, shaking her head.

                “That thing is not a boy,” I said, pointing at Dimitri.

                “On the contrary, I have male genitalia. Want me to prove it?” His smirk got wider and he crossed his arms.

                “Quit hitting on me! I’m not gay like you!” I said in annoyance.

                “Oh sweetheart, I’m not gay. I’m just too fabulous for you to handle,” he said, his eyes lighting up in amusement.

                “If you’re straight, I’m a tadpole,” I grumbled.

                “In that case, I’d love to take you home and keep you in a fish tank until you grow to be a frog. I used to catch tadpoles with my parents and keep them as pets,” Dimitri said thoughtfully.

                “Theo, shut up and go away. Dmitri’s sexuality is none of your concern,” Thalia said, shaking her head at me.

                “It is when he keeps hitting on me!” I cried.

                “Don’t flatter yourself, little Theodore. Although, you are very attractive,” he said, his eyes raking up and down my body.

                “That could have something to do with the fact that I dress like a normal human being,” I said.

                “Theo, you dress like a boring human being,” Thalia said.

                “Shut up Thalia,” I said, shooting her a look that let her know she was a traitor.

                The basement door creaked as it was opened. “Dinner time,” my dad’s voice called down to the three of us.

                We left the basement and went upstairs into the kitchen. We sat down at the table as mom and dad put out chicken riggies for us.

                Mom and dad sat down and everyone began to scoop food onto their plates. We passed around the milk, letting everyone have a glass.

                “So Dimitri, how old are you?” mom asked.

                “I’m 17,” he said.

                “You said you had a brother. Do you have any other siblings?” dad asked.

                Dimitri nodded. “Yes. As I said, I have my darling little brother, and I have a sister who’s a year older than me,” he said.