Outside The Lines {4}

Start from the beginning

                Today, he looked even more ridiculous, if that was even possible. He was wearing dark purple skinny jeans, which matched the color of his fohawk. He had on a mustard yellow sweater, and bright red Converse.

                There was a neon pink shoelace strung through his belt loop and tied in a bow at the front of his jeans. He had a rich purple scarf wrapped around his neck, gold colored letters on the end of it. I couldn’t make out the letters, though. But the purple of the scarf didn’t match the purple of his jeans.

                His fingers held their usual rings. His hair was glittery, and that blue mascara and black eyeliner was reapplied.

                Dimitri shoved his phone back in his pocket. He looked up and his gaze drifted around the room, coming to land on our table.

                A smirk spread on his face as he changed the direction he was walking in, coming over to us. I cursed under my breath as he stepped up to our table.

                “Little Theodore. I didn’t realize I had study hall with you,” he said.

                “DMI. Are those your initials?” Thalia asked, staring at Dimitri’s scarf.

                “Dimitri Mikhail Ivanov. That’s my fabulous self,” he said, brushing a lose strand of dark purple hair away from his forehead. He twirled it around his finger and pushed it up back into his fohawk.

                “Cool scarf,” Thalia said with a nod. “I like it.”

                “My mother made it. She’s like Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter. Only instead of making me a sweater with the first letter of my first name, she just made me a scarf with my initials,” he said with a shrug. 

                Now that Thalia had mentioned the idea of Dimitri being Russian, I realized that he did have a slight accent. It was what made his voice so musical. It had me wondering if he was actually from Russia.

                “Little Theodore, you’re staring at me. Would you like a picture?” Dimitri asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

                “It’s hard not to stare at a guy who’s sparkling,” I said. He was standing right under the light, and his hair was shimmering.

                “I radiate perfection,” he said, flipping his scarf over his shoulder.

                “No. You’re just weird enough to put glitter in your hair.”

                Thalia elbowed me and I grunted at her, rubbing my side. She shot me a warning look, her expression telling me to shut up and leave Dimitri alone. But, hey, the guy had come over here of his own free will. That wasn’t my fault.

                “When I step out of the shower each morning, I like to think of myself as a blank canvas in desperate need of sprucing up,” he said.

                “And you do that with glitter and shoelaces?” I asked.

                “Of course,” he said, patting his shoelace belt.

                “Can we graduate already and get the hell away from people like him?” I asked, turning to Oliver and jerking my thumb at Dimitri as I spoke.

                “Theo!” Thalia whacked me in the back of my head and I winced, pouting at her.

                Dimitri chuckled as he watched us. “I find you very interesting, little Theodore.”