chapter five [reasoning]

I figured I could use the time alone with Jungkook to understand who everyone was and what functions they served to this 'group.' The entire wooden cabin became deadly quiet as everyone had gone into their own private quarters, but I was only searching for one person.

I walked over to the living room but soon turned disappointed when the figure had not been on the couch any longer. Looking around, I spotted a tiny book, along with a figure sitting on the tiled kitchen counter. He swung his feet back and forth, engulfed in the pages while biting into an apple.

My footsteps alerted him. Looking up from his book, he gave me a small smile before going back to the worded book.

'What are you reading?'

'It's a biography of Catherine the Great, titled A portrait of a Great Woman. I've been reading it for some time now, and it seems I'm almost to the end.' He rested the half bitten apple onto the counter.

'Seems like it's just you and I for a while tonight. Don't worry, we'll find something to do.' The manner he had spoken to me sounded almost as if I was the babysitter looking after a young child who wanted nothing more than to play games.

'I actually wanted to ask you a few questions, if it's alright with you...' I made my way over to the opposite counter top, leaning back against it.

'What is it?'

'Do they always leave you here alone?' My voice came out more blunt than I had intended, and I felt bad as his mouth twisted into a frown.

'They do, but I've gotten used to it now.'

'Why do they leave you here?' I continued to press on to get the answers I desired.

'In humans, you've got a balance of hormones once you reach a certain age, am I correct?' Finally placing the book in his lap, his fingers began to twitch nervously. I nodded as to confirm his inquiry.

'Well, think of it this way. When you're a teenager, your hormones are unbalanced as you're still developing. During those stages of life your emotions and arousal becomes out of control, causing different types of behaviors that may seem strange to the teen. I'm barely 19, and the same applies for Allaria's and Illex's. Before we turn 20, the urge to bite and attack is still 'out of hand,' so we're mostly confined in areas away from the rest of humans until we learn to control ourselves. That's kinda why I'm out here and definitely not allowed to follow them into town. If a human were to pass by, I might attack them in broad daylight and we can't allow that to happen. Do you understand now? It's not that I don't want to go, it's that I can't.'

The information was finally starting to sink in, but the entire idea of vampires still seemed so far-fetched.

'Why can't you just use a suppressing substance to control yourself?'

Jungkook crinkled his nose slightly in disgust.

'Nicotine is absolutely revolting, I've seen what it does to Taehyung. He's lucky he's still alive with the amount of cigarettes he has smoked in his lifetime. Another suppressant is caffeine but I hate coffee as well.'

'Speaking of age, how old is everyone?' I crossed my arms over my chest as he looked up in deep thought.

'I'm not too sure about Taehyung, he's been around far before us all. Jin is 24, Jimin is 20, Hoseok is 20, Yoongi is 23, Minji is 22 and I'm 19.'

'Minji is 22?' It was now my turn to widen my eyes at the facts. It seemed impossible that someone so short and childish could be older than me.

'She may not seem like it, but she's actually nearly as mature as Yoongi. Strange, I know.'

'I've heard Taehyung keeps some odd things in his room, do you know what's in there?'

Picking up the book again, he flipped the page and read on.

'Can't say I have, but I'd listen to Minji if I were you. She probably knows what's inside.'

Another question inched its way out of my mouth.

'If Taehyung is the head of the Illex's, then who is in charge of the Allaria's?'

He slowly looked up from the paper pages and stared me down with a harsh gaze. I was beginning to think that perhaps that question should have been saved for someone else.

'We can't speak of his name, but I've heard his initials are K.N. Even though all of us are technically belonging to the Allaria's, we're all contracted underneath an Illex. Once Taehyung finds someone to carry on the bloodline, then I suppose we'll be set free. Until then, we carry out his work.'

'He hasn't found anyone yet? Taehyung, I mean...' I looked down towards my toes that peeked out from the holes in my socks, tapping them against the tiled floor.

'He's got plenty of women flocking after him, but I'm not sure many have made it out alive.'

'What do you mean...?'

Sighing, he slammed the book close and tossed it onto the table, legs still swinging from the counter.

'A few years back, Taehyung was just a teen living under his father's reign. One of the biggest rules separating humans from vampires is merely that you're not allowed to have any type of relations with one another if you're still living under the authority of your parents. Taehyung broke that immediately as he eloped with another human girl. His father was devastated, sending out search parties for him day and night until he was finally caught. The human girl was killed and he begged to be killed with her, but instead he was given a curse. The entire council decided he would be turned into a part vampire part rabbit creature if he wasn't given his proper fix of blood regularly. The girl's name was Bunny, so it's not too surprising that the council chose the rabbit. Now, Taehyung finds a victim nearly every night in order to stay completely vampire. It's a pity really, but we all normally sleep through the sounds from upstairs.'

He looked around after finishing his explanation, distress marring his features.

'Don't tell anyone, but I'd be careful around Taehyung. You survived his first attack, so he may try it again and I'm not sure he'll hold back.'

-

anyone reading buzzed will know that i'm currently jamming out to kamikaze by mo

it's got such a sick beat, really

i recommend you all take a listen and read this story with it in the background

seriously, its totes crackin

hope you enjoyed it!-

-elise