chapter two [hoot]

'It's been difficult finding the right...tribute for you.' The rambunctious member had his face revealed, but I could only get a glimpse from the back of his head as he rubbed the nape of his neck apologetically.

'How'd it taste this time boss?' Leaning back against another steel table, the transformed man with tattered clothing drew his pink tongue across his lips, glancing at me before averting his gaze away.

'Sugary, almost too sweet for me, but it'll have to do.'

'How do we dispose of the...y'know...the thing.' Pointing a finger at me, they all turned their heads in unison, and I had never seen a group quite as oddly appealing to my eyes. Their slightly eastern features took me by surprise. Tan and pale skin clashed with some of their brightly dyed hair. The get-up was almost too attracting to the untrained human eye. They all had an intimidating demeanor surrounding them, but as my face began to tint a bright red, my glasses fogged as well.

With impaired vision, I could only listen as they continued to come to a mutual agreement on whether I was worth killing or letting go. Sor far, things weren't looking too bright.

'They're all the same; soon the information of some crazy cult led by psychopaths will be getting out to the entire town and we'll have to relocate. You can never be too careful, especially around a human girl.'

A few sighed in frustration, taking several moments to think of their next moves.

'Just kill her, then we won't have to worry about being caught. Not like we showed mercy to any of the other poor saps...'

'I can't kill her, it's against the code. They'll turn me into a Lepus permanently.'

'Then make her take an oath, so she won't tell anyone.'

'Yeah, but will an oath really keep the big-mouthed gossiper from saying anything to her friends or family? After seeing all of that, I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep my word...'

The pulsating pain from the puncture wounds in my neck throbbed relentlessly, and I winced as it brushed against the leather strappings. They conversed so casually, almost as if I wasn't there at all, but I tried to pick up as much information about them as possible.

Just in case I ever managed to make it out alive, I'd have one hell of a story to tell the police. I would probably be drug tested to make sure I wasn't under the influence and just hallucinating the crazy events, even if I knew myself that it had all happened.

It had all happened.

Turning my head sideways, the fog began to clear away from my glasses and I could finally see once more.

'She could serve as your proconsule, it's been awhile since you've last had one.' I eyed the tallest member who fiddled with the string behind the rabbit mask in his hands.

These strange terms that they spoke of rang a distant bell, and I tried to remember what they meant exactly. They were all of Latin origin, Lepus another word for rabbit but a proconsule was still unknown to me. I spent many hours buried away in the library, however none of that time was spent on my Latin classes. If I hadn't known a term, my professor would normally explain it to us. I wished to be in my dorm, studying away rather than being bound down by an unusually mystical group who wished to end my life to rid of evidence.

'Untie her, we're going back tonight.'

'Where to exactly, sir?'

Snapping out of my dangerous thoughts, a short member with an especially irritable face walked over to the buckles while the rabbit mask still covered the bottom portion of his face.

I began to evaluate my choices quickly, wondering how far I'd make it if I bolted for the door once they freed me. Gulping, the restraints slowly came off one by one as the others gathered a few supplies to take with them.

As my eyes darted to the door, the man untying the buckles spoke in a low voice.

'Don't even think about it.'

Snatching my arm, he hauled my sore arms and legs off the table and followed the rest of the men out of the flapped doors and through the dark storage room. Instead of going back to the room with the poker table, we all exited through another door that lead directly out into the cold, wintery night air.

Street lamps lined the quiet streets as smoke billowed out from chimneys in the alleyways. Briskly, the young man took the lead and walked the opposite direction of where the dogs had been chasing me. My legs and arms began shake slightly as cold air seeped through my sweater holes and rips in my jeans. With his grip still strong on my arm, I walked swiftly with them down the shop lanes.

Along the outskirts of the cozy town bathing in the moon's light was a lush, veridian colored forest. Strange cries and noises emitted from the woods every night and no one had ever ventured in and out successfully, or so I've heard. It seemed eerily quiet on this night, only the hoot of an owl was heard from deep within.

Exiting the area filled with closed shops, we neared the streets that merged into forks leading towards the giant forested area.

I was still slightly dizzy and nauseas from the previous events and continued to stumble across the empty roads and into the forest with the strange men.

No more than a mile or two in, the trees began to clear out as a large, wooden building came into view. It's old wood structure shone brightly in the light of the moon. A tiny chimney was stacked on top of the slanting roof which I assumed to be several stories above the ground.

It was much larger than a log cabin, giving off a different vibe that instead seemed cold and uncomfortable than welcoming. In fact, nothing about the setting seemed to be comforting at all.

Finally letting go of my already tired arm, I merely followed them from a distance as they approached the front of the house, opening the door that seemed to already be unlocked.

Before stepping into the giant wooden 'house', I froze as another member turned around and flashed me a frown.

'Welcome to headquarters, watch your step.'

-

this is getting a little freaky

wow (hope you enjoyed!)

-elise