Chapter 6: Three years later..... (Part 2)

Comenzar desde el principio

"You mean enjoy the scenery that we always see when we go to school?"

He shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe something new will happen."

I scoffed. "Sure, maybe another cat will attack me. Or maybe this time it'll be a raccoon that attacks you."

"Then you can save me this time." He grinned. "So you in?"

"Scenic route it is." I sighed, pushing back a small smile.

We both stood up and went to the counter to pay, and I just before I handed Janine, who worked both as a waitress and cashier, the money, Alfire stopped my hand and gave her a five dollar bill that paid for everything. It was a blissfully cheap place with really good drinks.

"You're kidding right?" I raised my eye brow at him, still holding my money. "You don't need to pay for me."

"Okay, Ms. Independent." He joked mockingly. "Then accept it as an early birthday present."

"I don't want your present."

"Then just accept it as me being wanting to be a gentleman." He shot back. "Come on Kris, you can't take this opportunity to prove my manliness from me."

"Oh, I'm sorry for robbing you of your two dollars' worth of manliness." I mocked, but I rolled my eyes anyway, letting him pay. Just before we left the counter I passed my two dollars anyway.

"Here's a tip." I smirked. "Thanks Janine."

"No problem, kiddos." She laughed, winking at me as she looked at the both of us. "You have a good day now!"

"Thanks Janine." Alfire saluted to her before we closed the diner door.

We were both met with a cold gust of air. I pulled back the scarf over my face, then looked at Alfire.

"You still up for the outdoors even if now we can't feel our faces?" I asked him.

"We'll get warmer if we keep walking." He smiled, and sped up. I almost had to jog to keep up with him.

"Don't forget your legs are longer than mine, geez." I muttered.

"Oh sorry, I'll slow down. Make sure to enjoy every beautiful sight alongside you." He smirked.

"How sweet of you." I rolled my eyes.

He laughed. "You know, we already bicker and tease like an old married couple. Are you sure you don't want to go out with me?"

I sighed, and stopped walking as I looked at him. I felt annoyed that my cheeks still flushed when he brought it up, but I stood my ground. "Alfire, this is the fourth time you've asked me in the past month, so by now I already know that you're just testing how long it'll take until I break, WHICH, by the way," I said, pointing my finger at him. "--makes you a jackass. I've already told you my reason, so for the last time, I'm sorry, but my answer is still no." And I kept on walking. It sounded mean, but with Alfire nothing is mean enough. But for some reason he's never been able to annoy me enough to want him to leave. When I told him that, I realized it was a mistake because now he saw it as a challenge to annoy me as much as he possibly could. And he made it clear that this was one of them.

"Wow, you really are serious about that no dating policy, huh? Though I'm still convinced it's because of something more than that nonsense excuse you keep giving me about wanting to focus on your studies, especially when your grades stay stuck at a B average." He teased, catching up beside me.