Final Goodbye | Luke

Requested: hi, could you pls do a luke imagine where his little daughter is in the hospital and he has to say goodbye to her? sorry it's sad, i had a dream about it

Luke paced the hallways, over and over again. Everyone tried countlessly to get him to sit or eat or take a sip of water but he refused.

Just a mere six hours ago, he left his little girl in the hands of their trusted babysitter while he did a show. He got a call right before they went on saying Lucy desperately wanted to come see Luke play so he told the sitter to call a cab and bring her to the arena.

Little did he know, less than half an hour later, that cab would take the worst part of a three car pile up in the middle of Atlanta traffic.

"Luke!" A tour manager ran up to him in the middle of Permanent Vacation, effectively stopping the song. The older man was flushed and out of breath. Luke tore his ear piece out and leaned down to hear what the man was mumbling. "Your daughter... Car accident... Hospital."

Luke ripped his guitar off, dropping it onto the stage floor, and sprinting off the stage as fast as his long legs could take him. The other three boys were quick to follow him, leaving the tour manger to explain what has happened and what to expect to the audience.

"Mate, why don't you take my water, yeah? Get some fluid in you. She's probably still in surgery, nothing we can do right now." Ashton said softly, placing a strong hand on Luke's shoulder, forcing him to look at him.

"I can't, Ash." Luke sighed, desperation tattooed into his blue eyes. "I can't just sit here and do nothing while she's fighting for her life in there. I can't do anything for her right now and it's tearing me to pieces." Luke groaned, sliding a hand down his face in an attempt to hide the tears that don't seem to stop.

"I know, we're all worried about her, too. She is our niece, it's killing us. But when she comes out of surgery, as good as new, she's going to need her dad. And you won't be much of a dad if you're passed out on the floor from dehydration." Ashton gently placed the bottle of water into Luke's hand, forcing his fingers to grasp it before walking back to small group of people waiting for Lucy.

Just as Luke brought the bottle up to his lips and took the smallest of sips, he heard, "Mr. Hemmings?"

Luke met the greying man halfway, his close friends on his heels. "I'm him."

The doctor nodded, shooting Luke an unreadable look but it wasn't a smile. God, all Luke knew is that it wasn't a smile. "Lucy faced a lot of trauma, the worst of it taking place in her brain due to her head going through the window. We did all that we could but the injuries are far more extensive than we had thought. We have declared her brain dead. We have her on temporary life support but there's no chance of her coming back. I'm so sorry."

Truthfully, Luke didn't hear half of what he said. He was enclosed in Ashton and Calum's arms as they struggled to keep the weeping father upright through their own sobbing.

"We know this is an unbearable time for you but whenever you're ready, you can ask a nurse to escort you to say your goodbyes."

Luke stayed in his friends arms, Michael joining after then doctor left, for close to an hour until he shook them off. "I need to see her."

Ashton nodded. "Go on. We'll be right here if you need us."

Luke was escorted through the gloomy late night halls of the hospital before they finally stopped in front of a door. Room 426. The nurse placed a caring hand on his arm. "Take all the time you need."

Luke pushed the door open, taking hesitant steps inside with his eyes trained on his shoes. Once he was standing only a few feet away from the bed, he lifted his head to look at his little girl. The five year old had a large tube down her throat, wires coming from everywhere, and her body was a pale green color.

He felt his throat closing, air wasn't coming like it should. The tears flowed from his eyes as if someone had turned his internal water spout on. He stumbled to her side, quickly covering her needle poked hand with his.

"Baby girl," He sobbed. "Daddy is so sorry this happened."

Luke took a deep breath, carefully memorizing every feature of her face, even though he already knows her like the back of his hand. "They told me it was time to tell you goodbye so I guess that's what I'm doing. I want you to know how proud I am of how strong you were today, how strong you are everyday. You always said it was tough being the only kid in kindergarten without a mommy but you pushed through and told me that it was okay because you have a 'doublely amazing' dad. I always tried my hardest to be the best dad I could, and I like to think I succeed, with the help of your uncles, of course. You are the most amazing person I ever met and by far the most amazing thing to ever happen to me. You are my light. You always will be, Lucy."

Luke took a breath and just stared at her soft face for a few moments. He sobbed quietly.

"This isn't fair. This shouldn't have happened to you. You're so young and full of life. You have so many places to go and people to meet and things to conquer. I knew you would go far and do great at whatever it is you would have chosen. If these really are the last words you'll ever hear from me then I want to tell you that you are my life, you're my everything. Every minute of every day for the last five years have been devoted to you and I can't imagine any better way to spend it. You gave me meaning and a purpose. You gave my life light after so many years of being lost. You guided me to being the person I am. You are the best gift I could have ever gotten."

Luke felt his lungs tightening again, his chest becoming painful when he inhaled. His eyes were sore and raw from the amount of crying he had endured the last seven hours.

"Thank you, Lucy. Thank you for being the best daughter in the entire world. I love you more than life itself and I'll never forget you. You will always be the biggest part of my life."

And Luke buried his head into her chest, determined to cuddle his daughter one last time. He stroked her hair softly and continued to whisper how much he loves her.

Luke felt a hand on his shoulder and lifted his head just enough to see his three closest friends standing behind him. The each took a seat in various parts of the room.

No one said anything for hours. They all sat together and helped their friend mourn the loss of his daughter. The little girl they were watching yell at the cartoon characters on TV this morning, the one they watched grow from a tiny infant into the brilliant little girl she is, they were now watching pass away. Every second she was drifting farther from her life. And every second Luke was losing his mind a little bit more.

When the sounds of the heart monitor became a constant beep, no one stopped Luke from the panic attack he had. No one dared to stop him from punching the hole through the wall. It was a horrific scene; the single father watching his little princess die in front of him, her uncles surrounding her, all crying their eyes out.

This little girl knew she was loved more than anyone else in the whole word. She was loved by the four most amazing boys in the world who raised her to be a tiny carbon copy of them. This little girl had the best father any girl could ask for and lived her short life out cherished in a way most couldn't even imagine.

AUTHOR

I cried the whole time writing this. This ended up being way more than just the final goodbye speech but I've never wrote about a child dying and I felt like it wouldn't be right to end it there. This broke my heart to write and I hope you all like it.

And as much as I love all of you who request, I beg of you to never ask me to write about a child dying again because this broke my heart into tiny pieces. I know I write a good bit about children in hospitals and such but they always end in a positive light and there was no way for this to end positive.