Scary Movie | Calum

"Daddy, I'm old enough! I promise!" Harper told her dad, begging to let her stay up with him and watch a scary movie. You were gone for the weekend on a business trip so Calum was left alone with the kids. Grace was fast asleep upstairs and he was about to take Harper to bed but she has other ideas.

"Harp, your mommy would kill me," Calum sighed. You never let them watch scary things in fear that they would have nightmares.

"Not if we don't tell her!" She smiled up at him.

"What has Uncle Mikey been teaching you?" Calum laughed and then sighed. She promised she knew it wasn't real? She was just over six years old so that's plenty old enough to be able to tell real from fake, right? It didn't look like he was going to win this fight. "Fine, but we don't tell mommy."

Harper cheered and ran off to her room. She came back with her blanket and pillow and her favorite stuffed bear. She settled herself on the couch while Calum flipped through the channels to find a movie to watch. He found one that he remembers to not be too scary.

Halfway through the movie and Harper was fine. She was cuddled into Calum's side pretty tight but that was normal for her. Calum never noticed any signs that she was scared so he let the movie continue.

When the movie was over, he carried her to bed and tucked her in.

"Are you sure you aren't scared?" Calum asked, fearing she would have nightmares.

"Not at all, daddy!" Harper said, smiling at him sleepily and cuddled into her pillow. Calum left the room and went to his room and got ready for bed.

In Harper's room, she sat in her bed in pure terror. She had been scared the whole movie but didn't want her daddy to think she was a baby, so she put on her brave face. But now, sitting alone in the dark, the movie was playing through her mind nonstop. After almost twenty minutes of trying to get herself to go to sleep, it was hopeless. Harper was scared out of her mind. She walked quietly from her room and down the hall. She pushed open her daddy's door and saw him asleep on the bed. Not wanting to wake him up, she walked to your side and crawled in. She snuggled into him carefully, feeling instantly safe in her daddy's presence.

"Baby girl?" Calum asked, waking up. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. "Are you scared?"

"Yes, daddy," She sighed. "Maybe I'm not big enough to watch scary movies."

"It's okay, one day you'll be old enough. But for now, you can stay my little girl, deal?" He said, rubbing her back as she began to fall asleep.

"Deal, daddy."