Bruises | Luke

"Babe, are you sure?" You asked for the millionth time today.

"Yes! Just go!" Luke laughed, urging you out the door with three year old Bentley on your hip. You and Bentley were going to your mom's for the weekend to accompany her to a work dinner. Luke was staying home with your one year old daughter, Lucy. For two days. By himself.

"Fine, I love you!" You said, pecking his lips as he repeated the words and pushed you out the door, carrying your bags to the car.

Luke walked back into the house where Lucy was entranced by a cartoon on the tv. He scooped her up. "Hi, baby girl. It's just you and me, now!"

She cooed and said a murmured "Dada," smiling at him.

"Are you hungry, darling?" He asked. She didn't answer but he knew it was lunch time for her so he set her down on the floor and walked to the kitchen.

Luke began to make Lucy her lunch, pulling out the ingredients to make a grilled cheese.

He had only been in there for three minutes before he heard a bang followed by a loud screech. He froze, his heart stopping as he imagined the worst before he took off in a sprint to her. She was laying on the floor, holding her head and sobbing.

Luke immediately held her close to him as he rocked and shushed her until her wails were a soft whine. He finally sat down, setting her in his lap and taking a good look at her head. She had a small bump on the left side of her forehead with a shallow cut. Sighing, he knew she had hit it on the coffee table. Picking her up again, he walked to the kitchen and found the first aid kit.

He cleaned the cut and bandaged it before grabbing an ice pack from the freezer and wrapping it in a small towel. Luke gently held it to her head as she began to whine again. "It's okay, baby. This will make it feel better."

She laid her head on his chest and began to fall asleep after that traumatic accident. Luke sighed, knowing he had to call you and explain what happened. He had Lucy a total of five minutes and she had gotten hurt.

"Hi, Lukey! Trouble already?" You asked, laughing slightly.

"Um," Luke said. "Actually, yes. Lucy hit her head and may have gotten a small bump and cut. But she's okay, I promise!"

"Oh my god! Do you need me to come home? Are you sure she's okay? How big is the cut? Does she need stitches?" You panicked.

"Baby, she's fine. It's a very small cut. Go to your mom's and have a nice weekend. We're fine! I just wanted to let you know!"