Baby Surgery | Luke

Your son, Bentley, woke up sick as a dog this morning. Being only two, he was pitiful. He spent hours crying before finally falling asleep in your arms. You took this time to pack up his bag and get everything situated to go to the doctor and get whatever medicine he needed.

"Tummy," Bentley's small voice sounded from his car seat, where he had just been placed into. He had been saying that all morning, indicating his stomach was what was hurting him. 

"I know, baby. We're going to the doctor." You hurried to finish putting everything into the car, anxious to get him to doctor to make sure he was okay.

You hadn't called Luke yet, seeing as he was in America on tour and you didn't want to worry him if it was just a little stomach bug. You were planning to call him once you left the doctors so you knew exactly what was wrong and Luke wouldn't wait all day for his diagnosis.

You pulled into the office and signed him in. Very quickly, you and Bentley were brought back and into a small room to wait after the nurse got his weight and temperature.

The doctor came in and examined Bentley thoroughly before finally providing her diagnosis.

"I believe he has appendicitis, severe enough that he may need to have it taken out. I'm going to send you to the hospital where they will double check and tell you more."

You began to panic, your baby needed surgery? He needed an organ taken out? You knew this operation wasn't a big deal, most people have it, but the thought of your baby having it absolutely terrified you. You thanked the doctor and rushed out of the room, hurried to your car, and was quickly driving to the hospital. You calmed yourself while driving, forcing the tears to stop.

Still, you hadn't called Luke.

Once at the hospital, the receptionist had been contacted by Bentley's doctor and ushered you to the pediatric emergency wing.

"Hi, Mrs. Hemmings," An older lady said to you. "I'm Dr. Jones. I heard your little one has appendicitis, so I'm going to double check, okay?"

You nodded and laid Bentley gently on the bed she led you to. You watched her inspect your son's stomach and judge his reactions. When she pushed down slightly on one area, he let out a piercing wail, making your heart tighten.

"I agree with your doctor, I think we need to get this out very soon so it doesn't burst. Has he eaten anything in the last few hours?" She asked.

"No, no, he refused." You said. You felt the tears coming back.

"Okay, we're going to take him on back and get this over with. A nurse is going to put an IV in his hand and then I'll be back in a few minutes to move him to the OR." And with that she left.

You collected your baby into your arms and rocked him back and forth, quieting his cries. You cuddled up with him in the bed and pulled your phone from your pocket, pressing call next to Luke's name.

"Hey baby, I haven't heard from you all day! I've missed you!" Luke whined. You smiled slightly but figured it would be best to just spit the news out.

"Babe, I have bad news. I'm at the hospital with Bentley. He has severe appendicitis and they're about to take him back to surgery." You told him.

You heard him gasp before he started panicking. "He what? And he's about to what? I can't, I've got to come home. I can't be so far away while he's having surgery."

"By the time you get here, he'll be done, baby." You sighed. "We'll be okay, I'm sorry I didn't call sooner, I was panicking."

"It's alright, I wish you would have called sooner but I'm happy you called before he went back. Can I talk to him?" Luke asked, you rolled your eyes.

"Of course, you goof." You pressed the speaker button, just as a nurse came in to give Bentley his IV.

"Hi buddy," Luke called. Bentley's face light up at the sound of his daddy's voice.

"Hi, daddy!" He called back, waving at your phone.

"I need you to do something for me, okay?"

"Okay," Bentley said in a small voice as he eyed the nurse with the needle.

"I need you to be a super strong boy today! I need you to be brave. You can do this, I promise. And when you wake up, daddy will be there with you. You're the strongest little boy I know and daddy loves you so much! All your uncles are cheering you on today. You'll be okay. So, can you be brave today?" By the time Luke finished his small speech, the nurse was done. Bentley was distracted listening to Luke, he hardly noticed it.

"Yes, daddy! I brave!" He cheered.

"That's my boy!" Luke cheered back. "Now give mommy a hug and kiss for me!"

And Bentley did so, turning in your arms to wrap his small arms around your neck and placing his lips to your mouth quickly.

"I love you, little man. Daddy will you see soon." You turned the speaker back off and pressed the phone to your ear.

"I don't care about the tour, I'm coming home for a few days. I'll figure it out from the plane." Luke said.

"Thank you, we need you right now." You said, tears of relief filling your eyes. You would never ask Luke to leave his fans and job but you really needed him to hold you right now. It killed you that you were about to sit through his surgery alone but Luke was doing the best he could.

"I'll be there soon, I'll call as soon as I land for an update. I love you," and with that you both hung up.

"He sounds like an amazing dad," the nurse commented.

"He is," You smiled at her. She left but the door was opened again by Dr. Jones.

"It's time, darling." She smiled sweetly at you both. A few nursed came in and began getting the bed ready to move. You hopped off and nodded.

"Mommy loves you so much, baby." You cooed, pressing your lips to Bentley's forehead. "Mommy will be right here when you get back. The doctor is going to take great care of you."

"Love you, mommy." Bentley said.

You watched them wheel his bed out and, as you stood alone in the room, the tears came back.

THERE WILL BE A PART TWO TO THIS!

Sorry for the long wait for an update. This was almost twice as long as what I usually write plus it'll have a part two so I hope you all enjoy! Please vote and comment!