Chapter 13

Miley -

"So I was thinking that maybe, if it was alright with you, that I might take Tom up on his offer for a date. Miley? Sweetheart?"

"Huh?"

My mom laughs lightly as I look up from my phone where I'd been texting Eleanor.

"I was telling you that Tom from work asked me on a date. And that I was thinking of taking him up on it." She smiles.

I know she's missed dating. She hasn't been on one since I was 15, so that would be two years of being date-less.

"If you like him and you want to go, go ahead. You'd probably have a lot of fun." I mean it, too. I want her to go. She's been alone too much lately. A boyfriend would probably do mom a lot of good.

"Well, he wanted to-"

A loud slam comes from upstairs followed by hurried footsteps quickly coming down the stairs. Until they cease and Harry appears in the living room where mom and I were talking.

His hands are deep in his black, torn, skinny jeans pockets, his hair perfect as always, and him smacking his gum like those guys in movies do right before they punch the daylights out of someone. A plain white t-shirt covering most of his torso, though it is hanging just low enough to see the tops of the sparrows he had tattooed on his chest.

But all the sexiness he brings into the room is heavily overshadowed by his words he told me a week ago: "I don't want you."

Mom turns around to see him walk into the room, and he continued to head for the front door.

"Harry, aren't you going to stay for supper? It'll be done soon." Mom calls after him, as he paused briefly to hear her talk.

He smacks his gum a couple times before sighing.

"No." And he turns to walk out the door, leaving us.

"Where are you going?" I call after him, and he sticks his head back inside the door before giving me an annoyed expression written across his face.

"Out." And then he's gone.

I roll my eyes and mutter about him being rude and go back to texting Eleanor.

"He seemed to be doing so well. He was smiling more, talking, you two weren't hating each other...I thought maybe he'd worked everything out for himself." Mom sadly sighs and gets up from her seat on the couch, walking into the kitchen.

It is sad. Harry was seeming to become a much better person than he was that day he walked in with mom. When he was wearing those torn, dirty, too-small clothes, and his hair needed a trim, he needed to learn manners, and how to read.

He finally did seem ready to move on from his criminal past. He was done being a convict. He now was a super hot guy, he liked to tease people, he knew how to read and write better than I did, and he was becoming such an incredible guy. I even thought there was the possibility of us two being together.

Until that day I walked in on him with a joint. He was back to doing the things that made him a convict in the first place.

I guess that was really the beginning of the end for us. It's been a week, but we haven't said ten words to each other since that day. I didn't tell mom about him doing the drugs, I felt like it was decision he needed to make and I'd let him make it. It would be his mistake.

I just...wish he wouldn't have pushed me away.

"Miley, do you really think I should accept Tom's offer?" Mom calls out from the kitchen.