Chapter 10; The sister

Reid pulls up on the side of the road. We're in the middle of no where, surrounded by trees. He gets out and I swallow, slowly opening my door. "Uh... Reid? Where are we?"

He grabs my hand and starts to pull me towards the woods. I made sure we went slow. "Reid. Dude, your scaring me." he laughs. "We're almost there."

As we walk through the forest, Reid still doesn't release my hand. Its hard to not notice his hand in mine. It's lighting up my body like fire, but it's freezing my mind like ice. But I guess that just what happens.

We walk for may about five more minutes before we come to a stop. I bump right into Reid's back, but he moved out of the way so I can look at the view. I step closer and look out.

It's something like out of a movie. There are fields of tall wheat grasses, as high as my waist. Some shorter. It goes out so far and on the other side, it's more trees. All around the field is trees. I smiled at walked out in it.

"Oh my god. Where did you find this place? It's... beautiful." Reid followed me out in the wheat grasses, his hands shoved into his pockets. "My dad and me found it when I was younger," He shrugs. "Been coming here ever since." I run my hand along the top of the grasses and when I get to a shorter part, around my ankles, I sit down in it and cross my legs. Reid sits beside me.

"So why'd you bring me then?" I asked, looking over at him. He shrugged again. "I don't know. I just feel like I can trust you." I nod and look at my crossed feet, playing with a little grass of wheat. "It's weird... but I can trust you too. I guess its because of how close we were back in eighth and ninth grade."

We go quiet. I know it was going to be like that. We don't talk anymore like we used to. It's different now. We both changed. And the question we want to know from each other is...

Why?

I twiddle with the grass in my hands and swallow. Mainly because reality settles back down on me and I realise something. I'm in the middle of no where... with a guy. Reid Collins for that matter! He could do anything and no one would hear.

Oh god.

I decided to speak up so that it wouldn't be as awkward. "Can you tell me why you changed now? No one's here. And you said you would if I kept my mouth shut about you fighting." Reid sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"My dad. That's why. When we moved, he started sleeping around with other women. Me and my mom had no clue of it until after everything happened. Not only did he sleep with other girls, but he beat my mom and me," He flips his arm around so that I can see the forearm length scar all the way from his wrist and up half his arm.

"This is just the first one. My back's worse. Anyways... I started acting out then. Getting worse grades. I would only respect my mother. I back talked my dad, earning more bruises and scars. But about five months ago, I got to a phone and dialled nine one one because my mom hit her head and was losing a lot of blood. My dad ran. When they asked what happened I didn't bother trying to lie. I told then exactly what happened. But they never found my dad. He's been running. He's luckily left us alone though."

"That's why you moved back," I mumbled, breaking the wheat grass into two. "To get away from him." I looked at him. He nodded. "Yea."

Out of all things, my stupid mind asks this. "Can I see the scars? On your back?" He looks nervous. But he knows I can sense it an nods, not wanting to coward down. He turns his back to me, stands, and grabs the neck of his shirt, pulling it off. I swallowed. I stood up and looked at his back.

He wasn't joking. His back is fucked up. Mainly in the middle. He has at least ten different scars on his back. I put my hand on his upper back, where the worse one is. He flinched at the skin contact and I swallowed nervously at it.