"Warden Commander Mahariel."

I looked up to see Mistress Woolsey. I stood so I could be closer to her level. I really didn't like having to look up at someone while talking to them, even though I had to do that to most people I came into contact with. She actually wasn't much taller than me.

"It is a pleasure to meet the Warden who killed the Archdemon and actually survived! I would have called it a lie had not so many people witnessed the blow."

I knew I was going to have to make up something eventually. A sex ritual resulting in a royal bastard was not going to cut it. And would ruin both Ferelden and the Wardens if the truth ever came out.

"I was sent to Vigil's Keep by order of the First Warden at Wiesshaupt. I am to act as treasurer of the Arling of Amaranthine. He believed local men could not be trusted for this post."

Varel snorted. "One of those 'local men' is right here."

"I have every confidence in the Vigil's loyalty in matter of arms. But gold corrupts even the most resolute soul."

"You're from Wiesshaupt?" I asked. She wasn't a Warden, I could sense that. She, like Varel, must work for the Wardens.

"Not Wiesshaupt itself. I am from many places. I go where the Wardens command. Ser, the Arling is on the brink of economic collapse. Trade must flow. Merchant caravans are being systematically attacked somewhere along the Pilgrim's Path. It is the only route that can reliably provision an army, feed a city, and maintain civilization. In Amaranthine, there is a trader, Mervis, whose caravans have been hit particularly hard. He may know where along the road the Darkspawn... or whatever they are... are striking."

"Why is the First Warden so interested in Amaranthine? Why would he care enough to send a treasurer?" I had a guess but I wanted to hear what she would say. And that guess had nothing to do with gold.

"About the Arling? He doesn't. But the implications... a great deal. When Commander Dryden was cast out of Ferelden generations ago, it created a dangerous precedent." I should have known she'd come up in this. "We are now presented with another precedent: Wardens owning lands and commanding fealty from lesser nobles."

"You should know that was not my idea, Mistress Woolsey. I wasn't expecting to become an Arlessa."

"Yet you don't mind being a queen."

"Do you see me at Denerim being queen?"

Varel chuckled.

Woolsey couldn't argue that. "If your Arling succeeds," Woolsey returned to the subject. "It will be an example to other kingdoms. That Wardens are important, Blight or no." That was a good point.

"I can only hope that it doesn't lead to infighting within the Wardens." I inclined my head.

"Only time shall tell." Woolsey walked away.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose. "Whatever happened to the senior Wardens being Commander of the Grey?"

Varel chuckled. "Ferelden's senior Warden left and became king."

"Oh, that's right. Completely forgot I was the only choice."

Varel laughed. "Shall we finish our business before we are interrupted again?"

"Let's try."

"Orlais sent a dozen Wardens to help rebuild. I believe you'd met at least most of them in your previous visits. Nearly all died in the attack. But I've been told Kristoff is still in the field."