Chapter 24 -We Are The Champions

"Growing up in Canada, most kids from Canada dream of playing in the NHL, and they also hope one day to be on a Stanley Cup team. That was a big goal." -Bobby Orr

Jonathan's P.O.V

"Boys let's get the win tonight so all of our families don't have to go to God-Forsaken Florida again. And so Duncs can get super fucked up for his birthday tomorrow." The entire locker room erupted in hoots and hollers. We all fell into a silence, lacing up our skates and making last minute adjustments to our uniforms. Q came in, screaming at us not to fuck up. The younger guys were shaking due to Coach's booming voice. Then there was the masters of the Stanley Cup Finals. Sharpie, Hossa, Peaks, Keith, Hammer, Seabs and I were used to this. We'd won two of these already, and a good chunk of the team had won one too.

We stepped onto the ice, the roar of the crowd causing my heart to race. I found Natalie almost instantly. She was laughing with Mark, her smile brighter than every person's here. She was wearing my jersey from my first year since it was the smallest one I owned. I'd offered to buy one that actually fit her, but she swore the one she was wearing was perfect. I wasn't complaining too much, she looked adorable in any clothes of mine.

The warmups ended in what felt like a millisecond. I skated to the center of the ice to take the faceoff. I'd won and the real action started. Tyler Johnson was giving me hell the whole game. He would check my when unnecessary, jab me with his stick and taunt me from a distance. Towards the end of the game, I confronted him.

"What the fuck is your problem?" I asked, jabbing him with the knob of my stuck. He shoved me back, an evil grin decorating his face.

"How's it feel to kiss me, Jonny Boy?"

"What? I'm not gay, man."

"Oh I know you aren't. You've got that smoking hot girlfriend watching from the stands. Man I should've fucked her when I had the chance."

"If you ever even put a hand on her I swear to god you'll never play another game of hockey in your life." I growled. He smirked, skating around me.

"Too late, bud. I made out with her when you were out partying with your team." Everything around me seemed to come crashing down simultaneously. I pounced on Tyler, punching him as hard as I could. Someone pulled me off of him, maybe Peaks or a Ref, I couldn't tell. They threw me down the hallway, but before they did I caught a glance of Tyler. His lips was busted and there was blood covering his face. There was a grand chance of that blood being from my knuckles.

There was no telling how long I was down there pacing the hallway. I was tame now and just really wanted to get back in the game. I could hear the goal horn and just wanted it to be our team. After what seemed like a year, I heard soft footsteps coming towards me. Natalie peaked her head around the corner, rushing into my arms.

"Oh god baby, what the hell was that?" She shouted, resting her head on my chest. I pulled her closer to me and kissed her the top of her head.

"He told me he kissed you. I couldn't stand the thought of that happening."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want you killing him and getting in trouble before tonight."

"So it is true?" I asked, my voice coming out weaker than I wanted. I'd thought Tyler was giving me a hard time just to screw with my game.

"He pretty much attacked me, Jon." I shook my head, not wanting to hear her defend herself. I ran back through the tunnel towards the ice. Peaks glanced up at me, giving me a questioning glance. I shrugged it off, taking a seat next to him. He nudged my shoulder, gesturing towards the score board.

"I scored Mr.Captain. Our competition is over, bud." I laughed, a real laugh, and flew towards the ice. There was only about five minutes left and there was no way we could lose now. So when the buzzer went off, none of us were too surprised. I skated towards Corey and pulled him into the biggest hug possible. Families were already making their way down. I hugged my parents and Peak's whole family. Natalie stood wearily in the corner, her whole family was talking to Q, but she was standing there alone. I skated towards her and kissed her briefly.

"I'm sorry I got so pissed off, I love you so much. Can we just forget about it?" She nodded, resting her head on my chest. I picked her up, causing her to squeal loudly. I set her down next to Shawsy and Chaunette and he instantly engulfed her in a hug. Brandon came over to hug all of us while Andrew snuck away to get some beer for the team. We went through the normal interviews, but people kept them short, knowing we all wanted to celebrate. Before I knew it, we were being doused in champagne.

Natalie and I took an Uber back too my place because, to be honest, we were both already too wasted to drive or even go out with the rest of the team. We drunkenly stumbled into my place where Deke nearly attacked both of us with kisses. He wouldn't get off of me and surprisingly he was strong enough to hold me down long enough to shower me with love.

"Deke is such a puck slut wow." Natalie slurred, leaning against me to stabilize herself. We made our way towards the bedroom, changing into matching boxers and Natalie wore a t-shirt. We got into bed, our legs tangled together. I could feel her breaths against my chest, it's subtle heat causing goosebumps to form on my arms.

I had everything I'd ever wanted. A beautiful girl sleeping next to me and now another Stanley Cup win. I used to think that hockey was my everything. The team was all the family I needed. But now that I had the love of my life wrapping her arms around me, maybe I needed a bit of both. I had my best friend sleeping two doors down and Natalie sleeping next to me, and life was amazing. This summer was hopefully going to be the best of my life. All thanks to Natalie Plager and a little thing called the Stanley Cup.

Wowee I'm so sorry I haven't posted in such a long time. I had matches every night this week so I didn't get home until like 8 every night. Plus it was homecoming week so I didn't have much time to update. I would've gotten this up earlier, but I was house hunting for a big chunk of the morning. The house is so amazing and the view is fantastic since it's on a lake. I would have my own office too. Why would I need one? Who knows, but it would be cool to have. So everyone cross your fingers that the deal goes through.

Q: What opening game are you most excited for?

A: Canadiens vs Leafs