Chapter 44 -Epilogue Part 1

Natalie's P.O.V

"Babes get up, we've got to get going." Lauren whispered, kissing my cheek and throwing a jersey at me. I groaned, glancing at the clock and realizing it was nearly 9:30. I jumped out of bed, changing into the Oshie jersey I'd been sporting almost every day for the past few months. I paired the jersey with leggings and a capitals hat.

My hair was still curled from last night so I just applied a bit of foundation and mascara. Lyla met me in the bathroom and we brushed our teeth singing to an old Taylor Swift song. It was a bit of game day ritual we'd started to carry out. The only difference each time was which Taylor Swift song we chose, but Lyla was obsessed with "You Belong With Me" at the moment so that's what we'd been listening to all week. After we spit out our toothpaste I kissed the young girls forehead and helped her into her little Oshie jersey.

"Lauren dear, me and Lyla-girl are ready to go." Lauren emerged from her master suit, looking beautiful as ever. She picked her daughter up and we made our way down the street towards the game. The stadium was crowed, but we found our seats in no time. Julianne was in her normal seat, but Derek had joined her today.

"Hello Houghs, how is this fine Sunday treating you?" I asked, sitting between the beautiful blondes. Julianne and I had bonded greatly since I'd moved to DC. She was a complete sweetheart and we hung out almost every time the boys were on a road trip.

"So great. Oscars tonight, you ladies still coming over?" Lauren and I nodded. We'd been excited about Jill's Oscar night dinner party for a few weeks now.

"Of course. Derek you're still in right? I need my date there." I pouted, giving the boy a wink. Since Derek and I were the only single ones in our group we always joked about how we were dating too.

"Baby, of course I will." He returned the wink and I chuckled deeply just as the boys took the ice. TJ made a beeline for us, making a goofy face at Lyla who giggled like a maniac. I was focused on Ovi would skated quickly towards the net when the other team stepped onto the ice. My stomach instantly dropped when my eyes landed on their captain.

19 Toews

"I've got to go." I hissed, grabbing my bag to leave the arena. Lauren latched onto my arm, yanking me back into my seat.

"Please stay." She begged. "Juls will be pissed if you don't show up tonight and we were all gonna get drinks before. If you leave I'm gonna kill you."

"Lauren you know I can't be here when he's three feet away." I gestured towards the man in white. She gave me her best pout and I couldn't say no. "Fine, but we're leaving right away."

The game started shortly after and my stomach wouldn't stop twisting and turning. Patrick looked back at me while on the bench giving me the weakest smile I'd ever seen. I felt nauseous seeing one of my best friends so torn up. He was one of the only reasons I still miss Chicago. Of course Jon was the other, but I would never admit to that. As much as I loved the guy, there was no way I could put myself through another relationship right now.

*****

"Come on, I told TJ we could drive him to dinner." Lauren groaned, pulling me towards the locker rooms. I knew I was being annoying by not wanting to go near the players, but Laur had to understand how much it terrified me to be near Jon right now. I couldn't help staring at him throughout the entire game, but the thought of having to be next to him was making me anxious.

"Let me drop off Lyla while you wait for him, please."

"Nat, I know you're scared, but you have to get over your fear of confrontation. Jon is one of TJ's longest friends in this league so he's going to be around whether you like it or not." Lauren hissed. We very rarely argued, so when we did I was always quick to back down. "Now wait out here with Ly."