Chapter 19- War

"Pain is temporary but victory is forever." -Jeremy H.

Jonathan's P.O.V

I threw my bag in the trunk of my rental car and let California's heat drape over me. Natalie sat in the front seat wearing one of my old t-shirts and Nike shorts, her hair pulled up to combat the warmth. She smiled widely at me as I slipped into the passengers seat. She gave me a quick kiss before pulling out of the airports parking lot. Her smile didn't leave her face the whole ride back to my hotel.

"Why are you so happy?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Well I missed you, and you won. Plus I got that job with the Cubs." She smiled, parking the car in the hotel's parking lot.

"Congrats baby, I knew you would get it." I took her hand in mine and led her to the restaurant where the rest of the boys were. We sat at a table in the back with Sharp, Teuvo, Corey, Versteeg, Patrick, Andrew and Brandon. We ordered various dishes, I got steak while Nat got pasta.

"Andrew you had a hell of a game." Andrew smiled at the compliment. "Actually all of you did."

"Thanks Nat, we missed you there." Brandon said, taking a bite of his fish.

"Well I'll be there tomorrow so you better win for me."

*****

Natalie's P.O.V

Jonny and I made our way up to the hotel room we were sharing with Peaks. Amanda decided not to make the trip out due to trouble in paradise. Jon pressed the elevator button to the twelfth floor, tugging our suit cases behind us. Our floor was mostly the team with a few random citizens that had begged Jonny countless times for autographs. We opened the door to the room and I was greeted by the stares of two middle aged adults who I instantly recognized as Jonny's parents.

The thing was, I hated meeting parents. They were always overly friendly or just straight up rude. And it wasn't just the parent's of boyfriends I didn't like to meet. Hell, I hadn't met TJ's parents until just a few months ago and he was my best friend. Jon's parent's hugged him, even though they'd seen him this whole week. I'd ditched out of Chicago the day they'd flown in so I could avoid meeting them. Yet here they were, standing in our hotel room.

"You must be Natalie." Andree stated, her mouth in a straight line. Jonny protectively wrapped and arm around me, pulling me so my back was flush with his chest.

"Yeah, it'a great to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Toews. Jonathan never stops talking about you both." I mentally cringed at the use of his full name. That was strictly used for scolding and when we were intimate.

"Call us Andree and Bryan." She said matter-of-factly. "Patrick agree'd to switch rooms with us so we'll be staying in here tonight."

"Well I'll be in my room then." I lied, grabbing my suitcase and purse, leaving the room swiftly. I found Patrick's room which just so happened to be across the hall and knocked on the door. He answered, wearing only a pair of sweats and his blonde curls going in every direction. It looked as if he'd just woken up from a nap.

"Plags long time no see. Come on in." He joked, stepping out of the door frame to let me through. "I was expecting you to come crawling over here. Jon's parents aren't too keen on new people. I'm fairly sure they still hate me."

"To be fair not many people do like you." I threw my bag on top of the dresser, taking in the room. It wasn't as big as Jon and I's room since it only had one bed instead of two. There was a cot against the window that provided a beautiful view of the city. "You'll take the cot, ay?"