Chapter 7:Long fall ahead

We ended night sleeping by the fire. I woke up first the next morning it was so hot u could see the heat waves in the air the blisters on my arm started to sting I got up slowly the fire now a pile of smoking ashes I walked over to the pipe and looked down it the sunlight casted a stream of light down in it but it didn't reach the bottom but about ten feet down in the side of the pipe was a little cave dug into the wall I looked at it closely and looked up at the sun but closed my eyes quickly it was so bright. I turned around and walked up to Nathan he was still sleeping but next to him was his backpack with his hand lighter in it I opened it and dumbed it out all over the sand there was a little pocket knife, a empty water bottle, scissors, a picture of a girl his wife maybe, and his brothers bronze hand lighter.I quietly placed all his things back in his pack back zipped it up and laid it back where I found it. I got up and walked back over to the pipe and looked down at the cave in the wall.
"we need rope " Nathan said behind me
"You knew this was here" I asked
"Yes, I've been searching for weeks all around for rope" he replied
"You found nothing?" I said in a snappy tone.
"All I found was a car flipped upside down about half a mile that way" he pointed.
I sat down and thought for a minute.
"We could tie the seat belts together and use them the best we can" I said
"Great!" He smiled. He picked up his back pack and started to walk "follow me" I started to walk behind him we walked up hills of sand the sand flying in the air made our blisters grow it took several hours until we reached the little red van upside down half way buried by sand
"We will have to dig" Nathan said
So I got by the van on my hands and knees and started digging a pathway to the drivers seat it didn't take very long but the sand was so hot me and Nathan took turns digging so our hands didn't get more blistered. The door was finally clear of all the sand I pulled it. It was jammed I kicked the window and it shattered all over I busted the glass around the edges of the window and crawled in watching out for glass. Nathan handed me his pocket knife I started to cut the seat belt on the first seat I threw the seat belt out of the car and onto the sandy ground I started to crawl into the back and laying on across the seats was a girl with long brown hair I jumped back there and shook her.
"Wake up!" I screamed
"Help me" she said
I carried her out and laid her on the ground by Nathan he knelt by her and I went back in the car and finished cutting all the seat belts and stuffed them in Nathan's back pack I also found 2 water bottles and canned corn. I crawled back out and me and Nathan carried the girl back to the pipe we laid her down by the burnt out fire and I started tying the seat belts together while Nathan opened the canned corn. I finished first, I waved him over he jogged over.
"I'm ready" I said we dug a hole into the ground right by the pipe the best we could but the ground was hard we buried one end of the seat belt in our hole and I got ready to send Nathan down,
"Ready" I asked
"No" he said in a terrified voice
But he walked up and grabbed the other end of the seat belt and tied it around his waist I gripped the rest of the seat belt coming out of the ground just in case. He stood on the edge of the pipe now staring down into the dark abyss he took a deep breath and lowered his self down slowly all I could see of him now was his Hands gripping the top.
"Ok I'm letting go now" he said
"Ok" I said in a nervous voice his hands disappeared and the rope jerked right out of the sand and I fell on my stomach dragging me towards the hole I tried to catch my footing but kept sliding my feet where dangling over the cliff side . Just then a pair of hands reached over my shoulder and grabbed the rope I turned toward her.
"My names Jane" she said tugging on the rope I got up and helped her pull until Nathan made it into the cave and he sent the rope back up.
"Thanks" I said
" yea thanks" Nathan screamed
"Your welcome" she answered