Chapter Twenty-Nine-Watergate II; 1972-4

~~~Quote: "I believe Watergate shows that the system did work. Particularly the Judiciary and the Congress, and ultimately an independent prosecutor working in the Executive Branch", The Washington Post's Bob Woodward, (March 26, 1943-), unquote~~~

I

Robert Upshur “Bob” Woodward, (March 26, 1943-), grew up in Geneva, Illinois. His parents were: Chief Judge of the 18th Judicial Circuit Court, (DuPage County, Illinois), (December 15, 1913 – February 20, 2007)-he served 1973-75; and Jane (née Upshur).

II

Bob Woodward, as he was known, also lived in Wheaton, Illinois. He was educated at the famous Yale University; he got a scholarship to The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps, (NROTC). But the Military wouldn't make Woodward famous.

III

After majoring in English and history, the young Woodward was a member of  the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

IV

By 1965, aged 22, Woodward received his B.A. degree. Then he was part of the United States Navy, (USN); he left in August, 1970. August was a month that would be very important four years' later, when US President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974.

       When his military tour-of-duty ended, Woodward, now 27, was going to be a lawyer. But he didn't go to law school. He studied journalism at The George Washington University, (named after one the "Founding Fathers", of the United States); Woodward for the Montgomery Sentinel newspaper, (Montgomery County; Maryland).

        Then Woodward met Harry M. Rosenfeld, (August 12, 1929-). Rosenfeld, the "Metropolitan Editor", left Berlin, Germany. He settled in America. He lived in The Bronx, New York, (with his wife and children). He was a  Syracuse University graduate. Several years' later, Rosenfeld became editor of New York Herald-Tribune in 1967; Rosenfeld then editor of The Washington Post in the early 1970's.

       "Come back when you've got more experience, Bob", he told him. And, Bob Woodward did that. Rosenfeld then hired the now 28 year old journalist. The date was: 1971.

V

Carl Bernstein, (February 14, 1944-), grew up in Washington, DC. His parents were: Alfred Bernstein, and Sylvia (Walker).

       In 1960, aged 16, Carl worked as  The Washington Star "copyboy". Because he didn't attend college, he worked for the Elizabeth Daily Journal, (around 1965-6), (based in New Jersey). He then won a prize as a "Investigative reporter" who was good at, quote, "Writing and deadlines", unquote. Bernstein then joined The Washington Post. And, when he joined Bob Woodward on the Watergate political scandal, their lives would change forever.

~~~

Page 29