Chapter Fifteen-Robert Graysmith; 1969

~~~Quote: "Obsession is a symptom of death", Author Robert Helliger, (August 4, 1973-), unquote~~~

I

San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist Robert Graysmiith, (September 17, 1942-), was working. He sat at his office and drew.

     "Frankly, I don't know what the hell is going on Robert, but the Zodiac story is blowing in our faces...And Paul is pissing off drunk", Scott Josephine Newhall, the editor, yelled. "Paul works in a different section...Crime", Graysmith said. "And what are you drawing?", Newhall asked. "President Nixon and the Kennedy's sour relationship. There's a 'Enemies Watch List', Nixon has secreted away...See!", he answered, and showed him.

       "Great! Now I need to clear it with The White House. Shit!", Newhall said. And he stormed off.

II

Graysmith stared at the TV.

           "....The Zodiac Killer is still on the loose. Everyone is to be on the lookout. In other news, Charles Manson was in the area where actress Sharon Tate was living with director Roman Polanski. And US President Richard Nixon's anti-Kennedy views has caused serious concerns as the Vietnam War drags on...", a reporter said.

III

Robert Graysmith wondered who the Zodiac killer was. He drank his coffee. He wiped his black coloured hair away from his eyes, then he knocked on the office of Paul Avery.

        "Do I know you?", Paul asked. He smoked a cigarette. He stared at him. On the huge brown coloured desk was pictures of Cheri Jo Bates, Betty Lou Jensen, David Faraday, and Darlene Ferrin and Mike Mageau.

        "Robert Graysmith, I'm a political cartoonist", he answered.

         "And what is a cartoonist doing in my section?", enquired Paul Avery.

          "I see that the Zodiac uses cryptic messages to the paper. Some people have encrypted some of it. And the murders have rocked the city", Robert said.

          "Yeah, but what are you doing now?". Paul Avery said.

         "Now, I want to solve the case", Robert Graysmith said.

         "That, Robert, is the biggest case in San Francisco. Besides, you don't know anything about crime; you draw", Paul Avery, said.

           "Then let's begin now", Robert Graysmith said, and smiled.

~~~

END OF PART ONE

Page 15