A Pleasant Surprise.

Start from the beginning

That pre-morning, Zahra awoke with a start, hearing a loud thump on the door of her bedroom, realizing after a few minutes that it was her mother, waking her up for Fajr Salah (pre-dawn prayers). She was a heavy sleeper. Nothing less than a bang to her door was needed to make her wide awake and in her senses. "Zahra, wake up, or I won't hesitate in breaking this dumb door!" 'You're already on your way to do just that,' she thought, grumpily. "Just ten minutes are left for you to pray." 'What in the name of the Lord?!' She was fully awake now. "It'll be dawn soon. Come on, get up? Can't you even hear your alarm ringing? It's been breaking the house down with that noise of it since this past half hour!"

"Alright, alright, hold your horses, mom. I'm up," Zahra replied peevishly. Thankfully, the fist-bumping on the door stopped for good. Apparently, her mother was satisfied with the answer. But, after a few seconds, the girl fell back asleep with a thud. Ugh! So much for staying up late till 2:00 in the morning! 

After about five minutes, she hastily aroused herself from her snooze, remembering she hadn't offered her prayers, yet. Searching for her phone on the bed, she switched it on to see the time. God! Exactly ten minutes left for her to pray. 'What cheek of the woman to lie about the time!' she thought, forgetting her manners. Mentally slapping herself upside the head, Zahra threw the covers down and ran to the bathroom to make wudhu (ablution).

Coming back, she quickly bowed down her sinning self into prostration in front of her Lord, asking for forgiveness, and after reciting the Qur'an fell on her bed and dozed off, again! She'd airily planned to wake up after a while so she could take bath and run to her office. Because it took her at least one whole hour to get tidy, so it was totally understandable that she had to get up for it early, in advance. Getting late would be such an embarrassment!

💎💎💎

Trapeze, CLYDESVILLE.

David Walworth was a mess since the last few months, drinking hard and going to rave parties every other night. Never did he fall asleep alone, in his bed. And tonight was no exception. Strangely enough, he didn't even remember who he was with, in the mornings. All he wanted to do was escape from his mind, break free from this chain of the corporate world that held him in its intolerant grip. 

And losing himself in the drink of the devil seemed to him as the only plausible solution to his problems. Aware of going downhill, he made no move to fix himself, as he screwed some girl in his splendid mansion almost every day. Owing to all this reckless behavior, his otherwise smooth relationship with his father, was on the rocks, and he never left a chance to annoy him.

The two of them were constantly bickering about something or the other. The situation was tense in the Boardroom. The Organization was not doing well, either on the stock exchange, or in the banking world. However hard he'd tried, the poor guy couldn't save the Company from going down into continuous losses for six months straight, except in a few countries. One of those few countries was the Indian subcontinent.

And it was in these tough times that his old man splashed cold water onto his last efforts. The Board had decided to bring the best lot of the subcontinent to the HQ, train them for exceptionally demanding jobs, and then let them hold the reins until the Corporation made it out from under the water. But, for some obscure reason, it hadn't gone down well with the young CEO. He had lashed out and stormed off the last meeting, and was in no mood to attend another anytime soon.