Laughlin sighed, standing up and walking to the stand. He knew exactly what was coming.

"Mr. Wilde, is it true that you were arrested at the age of sixteen?" Joseph asked.

"Yes, but...."

"And you had to stay at the police station overnight?" Joseph continued.

"Yes, b--"

"What if it happens again?" Joseph asked. "What kind of influence are you setting for your brothers?"

"It won't happen again," Laughlin objected. "I was in the wrong place in the wrong time. A fight broke out and I was caught in the middle. I wasn't the one who threw the first word or the first punch."

Joseph nodded. "Of course, but you were still there and still arrested. May I ask if you have had any girlfriends before?"

"I have had one before and I have one now," Laughlin said.

"Do you put your girlfriend first?" Joseph asked.

"No," Laughlin said. "I put my brothers first and she knows that."

"Really?" Jospeh asked. "Are you and your current girlfriend sexually active?" Why the heck was he asking that?!

Laughlin scoffed. "It's a personal question. There isn't a point to that."

"I never ask a question without a point," Joseph said.

Laughlin sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Yeah, we are."

"It takes one mistake," Joseph said. "What would happen if she accidentally conceives? Would your brothers still be top priority?"

"I'm not going to get her pregnant!" Laughlin objected. "And even if I did, the baby wouldn't be under just my custody. I wouldn't be raising it alone and caring for it. We both would."

I sighed, knowing Laughlin was showing his anger. It was going to reflect poorly on him.

"Is both your girlfriend and ex-girlfriend in the room?" Joseph asked. Where was he going with this?

Laughlin nodded. "Yes, both are."

"Great," Joseph said. "I'd now like to call Mr. Laughlin Wilde's ex-girlfriend to the stand."

Laughlin went back to tlhis seat as Mary walked to the stand. I had to admit, I liked seeing the shocked look on Joseph's face when he saw his daughter up there. I guessed Joseph never met Laughlin while he and Mary were dating.

"I'd like to ask for the reason of your break-up with Laughlin," Joseph said, still looking shocked.

"He caught me cheating on him," Mary said simply. "You see, Mr. Valence, Laughlin had always been in love with my best friend and since I was jealous, I cheated on him."

"So you're saying Laughlin isn't committed?" Joseph asked. "That he'll just fall in love with someone else? Or that he will no longer want to take care of his brothers because he's not committed?"

"Objection!" Laughlin announced, standing up. "I am committed."

"Mr. Wilde, please sit down," the judge said. "You can't object, only your lawyer can."

Laughlin huffed and sat down. I leaned over, rubbing his shoulders. "Stay calm," I whispered in his ear. "Don't show them your temper."

"As I was saying," Joseph said. "If he can't stick to one girl without falling in love with another, what makes you think he will stick with his brothers?"