Chapter 6

Here is a picture of Munro.

Chapter 6

      Once again, I was woken up by my cell phone ringing. However, with it now being ten o'clock, I wasn't that irritated, though I was still tired. "Hello?" I said tiredly, not even looking at the caller ID. Whoever was calling me better have a good reason.

       "Were you sleeping?" Laughlin asked.

       If he were in front of me, I would have glared at him. "No," I said sarcastically. "I was skydiving. What do you want this time?"

       "I really need your help," Laughlin said. "I was left to watch my brothers and.....Hold on. Munro! I swear, I am this close to locking you in your room with nothing but water!" I raised an eyebrow, wondering what could be irritating Laughlin so much.

       I heard Munro's muffled reply, picking out a few words that didn't give me a clue as to how he was irritating his brother. I did, however, feel worried for Munro. I didn't know how he could get Laughlin angry without fear.

       "You have three seconds to run!" Laughlin yelled at his brother. "Elliot, I don't know why they're being so irritating. I need help, can you please come over?"

       I sighed, quite loudly, before pulling myself out of bed. "Yeah, sure. I'll be there soon."

       "Please hurry," Laughlin begged before yelling his brother's name and hanging up.

       I changed from my pajamas to sweats and a t-shirt before heading down the stairs. On the fridge was a note from my dad.

       Elliot, had to run to the gym to sort a problem. Will be back in an hour or so. -Dad

       I reached for a pen sitting on the counter beside the fridge and wrote a reply, telling my dad that I was going to Laughlin's house. After grabbing my keys, I walked out of my house and locked the door.

       When I got to Laughlin's house, I heard something crash from inside, then the familiar voice of my friend's yelling sounded. I knocked on the door and was greeted by Munro when he opened the door. "Hi, Elliot," he said. "Laughlin isn't home right now."

       "I just heard him," I objected.

       "That was the TV, goodbye," Munro lied before closing the door.

       I just stood there, very confused as to why he was lying about Laughlin being home. I knocked again, this time having Laughlin open the door. "What's going on?" I asked.

       "I can't handle them," Laughlin said. "I need your help." He moved aside and let me walk in the house. I tried my best not to stare, but I couldn't help it. The inside of the house looked just as worn out as the outside. Were they actually living like this?

       "Laughlin!" Nick called from the kitchen. "The oven is on fire!" Fire?

       "Not again!" Laughlin groaned as he pulled me to the kitchen. Sure enough, smoke was coming out of the oven. Laughlin grabbed a fire extinguisher sitting in the corner of the kitchen before opening the oven and putting out the somewhat small fire.

       After putting the fire extinguisher down, Munro hurried into the kitchen and snatched the extinguisher before running away. Laughlin hurried after him, yelling at his brother. Nick was about to run out as well, but I gently stopped him. "Whoa," I said. "Laughlin's in a bad mood. It would probably be best to calm down."

       Nick shook his head. "I can't. Munro told me to bug Laughlin."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why would Munro tell you that? And why would you go along with it?"