Chapter 2

After a couple days of just walking I had found a shelter in a shallow cave by the ocean. My food supply was still close to full. Yes, I am anorexic. Even when someone forced me to eat, I would just throw it up later.

        That night, I fell asleep on the cave floor.

        I woke up to immediately feel a sharp pain in my back. I might have hated every single one of my dads, but the beds were better. I glanced at the sun. It looked about five. Time to leave before people began to get here.

        I got up and began to walk, enjoying the feeling of sand in between my toes.

        I walked for about 30 minutes before finally reached the road. I glanced both ways making sure there were any cars coming, before turning and walking on the sun burnt pavement.

        I went on the same routine getting up everyday and continuing on my journey. This lasted for about a month, until one day a car pulled up next to me.

        "Hello," said a lady in the front, "Do you have a home?"

        I felt odd, like I was being interrogated.

        "No?" I responded slightly backing away from the car.

        A man jumped out and grabbed me. I screamed, but I knew no one was here to see or hear me.

        Another came out and they tied me up and shoved into the back of the van. I sank painfully to the floor. Why did I have to answer them? Gosh, I'm such an idiot sometimes.

        I sat in the back of the van for what must have been an hour before it came to a slow and jerky stop. They grabbed me and took me inside and put in a room.

        "Welcome," said the lady, "To the Stony Orphanage for kids,"

        Oh no. I'm back where I started. This can't happen! I've spent too long on this! Over a month and a half walking to here and the many years before that struggling. My chance at freedom that was in my tiny hands was suddenly gone. And only my stupidity was to blame.

        She laughed at my frightened face.

        "Hope you enjoy your stay," she said before turning and locking the door.

        I soon learned the routine around here. You get up and eat the tiny breakfast they give you and then report to your assigned station and work until dinner. When dinner is over you are to report to your rooms immediately and go to bed. Break any of these rules and you get whipped. Some of the kids are better than others. Others like me, are what they consider their "toys". When someone arrives looking to adopt, we quickly change into our "special outfits" and head down into a line. We are not to speak unless spoken to. The good thing is, so far, no one has even talked to me. And I am perfectly fine like that.

        "Louis!" Cried Niall for the billionth time, from the other side of the town, "Im hungry!"

        "Well surprise surprise," said Louis, "We are going to the orphanage and then coming home!"

        "But I want something now!" Said Niall whining.

        Liam reached into his bag and pulled out a slightly squished sandwich.

        Louis looked at him.

        "I knew he would do this," said Liam smirking

        "And you couldn't have giving him this ten minutes ago?" Louis, Harry, and Zayn shouted in unison.

        "Haha, nope," he said

        In less than two minutes Niall had finished the sandwich.

        "So Louis, why do you want another sister?" Asked Harry, "I mean, you already have four,"

        "This one will live with me, go on tour with me, and everything," he said, his eyes shinning.

        They arrived at the orphanage and all climbed out of the car.  A mean looking old lady met them at the front door.

        "Mr. Tomlinson," she said smiling a fake smile, "Won't you come in,"

        They walked in the door and looked around at the shaded grey, well, everything. It was so dull it made them all feel a little depressed, even Niall.

        "I want to go back," Niall whimpered

        "Shhhh," Liam said, scolding him.

        "And what type of thing are we looking for today?" She asked

        What, Louis thought. Thing? This is a living child!

        "Girl, late teens," he said looking flushed and angry.

        "Follow me," she said ringing a bell on the way.

        The bell rang. Ugh, I dragged myself out of bed and crawled over and threw on my greeting attire. I flattened my hair and slowly trudged down the stairs. I carefully stepped into my proper space in line and waited for the arrival of our guests.

        To my surprise five teenage boys walked in and straight away I heard excited whispers. I had no idea people would get so worked up over another adoption.

        "All kids, who aren't a girl and over sixteen you may leave," Shelby said to us, gritting her teeth as she did so.

        Almost all of the kids turned and left, leaving me and a girl named Star.

        One of the boys stepped forward towards me.

        "Hello," he said.

        I cringed.

        "H-hi," I stuttered out

        "I have one question for you and then I would like to adopt you, ok?" He asked

        Ah, no thank you,  I thought. Five teenage boys, one girl, living together was NOT on my to do list.

        "Ok," I said trying to sound less desirable.

        "Ok, here it goes," he began, "Do you....like carrots?"

        Really? Carrots! Strangely though, they were my favorite food, if and when I ate. Before I could stop myself, my tongue was already ahead of me.

        "Are you kidding me?" I asked excited, "I LOVE carrots!"

        He held out his hand for a high five, but then I had shrunk back. He raised his eyebrows, but just retreated his hand.

        "Looks like I found myself a sister," he said turning and smiling and Shelby.

        Does he even have a clue who he is trying to be nice to? I couldn't help but snicker a little when she huffed and walked to get the papers.

        "Well, isn't she just dandy," said a curly haired boy sarcastically.

        They cracked up and I slightly giggled. Thankfully they didn't hear me, I didn't need them to think I was beginning to trust them. Oh, no, that would bad.

        "Alrighty," said the boy who apparently was now my legal guardian and brother.

        I admit that was a new one.

        "Ready?" He asked after I got my stuff.

        I nodded and we walked out the door. I climbed into the car and just put my hot cheek against the cold window, not once looking back at the orphanage, but dreading my destination. When will I stop trading a nightmare for a rapidly worsening one? I just closed my eyes tightly, hoping this one would end shortly.  

        A/N still getting used to writing, so excuse mistakes! Thanks for reading and. Hope you liked it! Send in requests if you have any because I don't know where I'm going with this quite yet!  

Much Love,

Savannah=)