Chapter 18

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first." -Suzanne Collins.

A sudden jolt at my body woke me up from my deep slumber. All signs lead to Justin having to be awake. When I opened my eyes, I looked down at my hand to see that Justin's was no longer in mine.

I stood, looked down and noticed that he was no longer in his bed as well. "Justin?" I walked over to the open door of the bathroom and glanced in. "You shouldn't be out of your bed."

He looked up at me from where he was sitting, "What's it matter if I am? Why're you even here?"

I stepped back, "Excuse me? Justin, you've been shot a-"

"Don't you think I already know that?! It's your fault that I'm here and I want you out."

"My fault? How is it my fault?" I crouched down and touched his arm.

Justin scoffed, pushing me away. "I don't know, Demi. Maybe you were in on this all and know who shot me. Do you know?"

"You're sounding ridiculous, okay?" I shook my head, "Justin I was arrested yesterday as a suspect at attempted murder against you. Now, you need to ask yourself that again. Do you really think I was in on it?"

He shrugged, wearing a sly, smug look on his face. "Well I wasn't. Like I told you, I was at home. Okay, I was asleep when you called me, in an empty house, alone." I stood up, "I'm just going to go now, because I don't think you believe me."

"Wait, please." I stopped at the door and turned to face Justin, who was now looking down at the ground. "I just- I don't get it."

"Get what?"

Justin sat at the edge of his bed and I sat beside him. "Everything," He chuckled. "You'll never believe what I found out." I looked down. Oh, but I probably already know.

"What did you find out?"

He sighed, "Emilia is not my daughter."

I gulped and started playing with my fingers. "It's crazy that not even three hours after Sara told me, I got shot. And not just once either," Justin laughed, but I didn't understand what he found so funny.

"I can't believe these past three years, every time I looked down at that little girl, I thought that I was so damn lucky.. T-To be a father to her, but I'm not. I never was."

I looked down, unable to find my words. I knew what to say, I just didn't know how to say it.. How would he take it? He would hate me.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Dr. Livingston has to do a few check ups on Justin now that he's awake," a nurse said. I nodded and told Justin that I would be back before I exited the room.

As soon as I exited the room, I walked as far away from there as possible. My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty and I felt like I was going to throw up. "Fuck," I sighed and set myself down on a chair.

"Demi?" I looked up and stared at the person I had no clue who they were. "I-It's me, Dr. Livingston?"

"Oh right." I chuckled, "How could I forget? I just met you yesterday, was it?"

He nodded, sitting himself beside me. "Indeed it was."

"I thought you were checking up on Justin.."

"I did, but now I have something else to do," he replied.

"Oh well I don't want to keep you from that," I told him. He still had yet to move from beside me. "Why are you still here?"

"Because you're that something else I have to do." My eyebrows furrowed and I looked at him strangely, "Okay that didn't sound too right. What I meant to say is, would you like to get some coffee? You look like you need it."

"Um, sure?" I answered, uneasily but got up and went along with him anyways.

When he and I got into the hospital's café, I didn't get coffee. I was still feeling sick, and just wasn't feeling it. Dr. Livingston must of noticed how uncomfortable I was feeling once we sat down. "Was me asking you for coffee not a good idea?"

"What, no. I haven't been feeling well lately and what happened with Justin hasn't made me feel any better." I told him honestly. "You're a doctor, so you know a lot of doctorly things, right?"

He nodded, raising an eyebrow. "I sure hope so. Why, what's up?"

I sighed, folding my hands on the table. "Not too long ago, I had a pregnancy scare but it was just pseudocyesis. Does that mean that I won't ever be able to get pregnant?"

"No, just because it was pseudocyesis doesn't mean that it'll stick with you forever. But in good time, pregnancy should be easy and just happen naturally."

My mood lightened up a bit, "Really? T-That's great."

"Are you.."

"What, no! No, I'm not." I chuckled, "Well, I mean what woman wouldn't want to be, though? I-I would love to have a baby, maybe not now.. B-But I would love to in the future.."

He chuckled, looking down. "If you want, I can give you a check up tomorrow."

"Why? I-I'm not pregnant.."

"Okay, I didn't say you were," he reached into his pocket giving me a card. "Just call me and let me know."

"What even is your name?"

"Derek," Dr. Livingston stood, "But now's not the time to change the subject, Demi. You and I both know what's going on here."

I turned my head, "I-I don't," I told him. "I'll see you tomorrow." I sighed, watching Derek walk away. I looked down at the card and was about to rip it in half but then my phone went off.

iMessage from 808-237-8992:

I told, now Adam is in custody, he's getting booked and is the last person you and I need to worry about anymore. - Sara.

I shut off my phone, looking over the card Derek gave me. One problem done, another one to go.

OK, thx for reading, babes.

-Mira.