Chapter 4

Demetria

"So, how old are you?" I asked Emilia. She was too busy staring at Justin, who was too busy pacing around the room on the phone with Emilia's mother. Emilia played with her fingers, shrugging. "I'm not that scary, you can talk to me."

She giggled, "I'm almost 4! My birthday's in May, which is 3 months from now." My eyes widened at how smart she was.

"You're very smart, Emilia."

Emilia smiled widely, causing me to chuckle, "Do you think my daddy's mad at me?" She whispered, leaning in towards me.

"I don't think so, I think he's just confused to why you're here. Were you supposed to be here?"

She shook her head, "No. I'm supposed to be with my mommy at her photoshoot."

"Photoshoot? So is your mommy a photographer?"

Emilia shook her head, "No, a model." She answered back.

"Oh.. Well then why aren't you with her?"

She shrugged, looking down. "Guess she changed her mind." Emilia shook off the subject, going back to coloring. I sighed, sitting back into one of Justin's chairs.

I excused myself from Emilia, but I doubt she even cares where I go because she was so intent with her coloring. I looked at Justin who was still on the phone, before sneaking out of his office.

When I walked back into the conference room, Adam and Destiny were still in there. "Is everything okay?" Destiny asked me.

"Sure is, I guess." I paused, "Anybody want a drink?" Both Adam and Destiny shook their heads no, but I got back up.

"I'll be right back." I said before leaving once again.

I knew my way around her like the back of my hand. I remember it, as if I never left. Of course, it feels different being back after 3, almost 4 years, but I still consider this crappy city with pretty crappy people my home.

I walked into the break room and immediately over to the coffee pot. After I turned on the coffee machine, I added water and waited for everything to brew. A few gurgling noises cane from the coffee machine before loads of coffee came pouring out of the bottom, quickly filling up my cup.

"Holy shit!" I cussed, quickly unplugging the machine and looking for napkins.

"What the hell happened?!" I looked up to a very confused, yet infuriated Justin who was at the door, now rushing in.

"I don't know, it just- I don't know exploded!" I shouted back, "Where are the paper towels in this damn place?!"

Justin groaned, rushing past me and getting the paper towels. When he got them out, he helped me clean up the puddle of coffee that was on the ground, seeping in.

"I'm so sorry, I really suck at making coffee." I told him, sitting down after I threw away the soaking wet paper towels.

Justin sat across from me chuckling, "No it's alright. It was actually kind of funny."

I glared at him before my face softened, "Okay yeah, it was." I agreed, laughing with him. "I have never seen a coffee machine do that before in my life, and I was very close to a nervous breakdown."

Mine and Justin's laughter died down a bit and instantly another awkward silence was brought upon the two of us. I felt his eyes on me, but I stayed looking away.

"So, uhm.." Justin started.

"Is Emilia still here?" I asked, completely interrupting him.

"Yeah, uhm, she's waiting for her mother to come get her.."

I nodded, "The model?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Emilia said that she was to be at a photoshoot with her, so I put two and two together.." I answered, looking down. "She's very smart for being so little." I added.

"Yeah, she's quite the little girl."

Right now, I can literally hear crickets that's how quiet it was.

"How are you? Like, how have you been?" He croaked out, running his hand through his hair.

I shrugged accordingly, gazing back into his eyes, "I'm pretty good, actually. I-I've been good, and you?"

"Yeah, me too..." he trailed off, looking down at my hand which was fidgeting with the other. "Is that- are you married?"

I looked down at my hand before picking it up. "What, no. But I'm engaged.."

Justin's eyes widened and he whispered, "Wow."

"Why do you seem so surprised?"

He shook his head franticly, "I-I'm not trying to offend you, I just was shocked. I wasn't really under the impression that you were even seeing somebody... Do I know them?"

"Very much so," I answered shortly. "It's Adam, my business partner, who is also my partner, partner."

"He seems nice." Justin suggested

I nodded, "He is.." I said, stating the truth. "So Emilia's mother... Is she your wife."

"Yes- no... Well, it's complicated."

"Something complicated with you?" I said sarcastically, "No, never!" I joked.

Justin laughed slightly, shaking his head. "May I ask you something?" A lump formed in my throat, but I still nodded.

"Would it be completely unorthodox if I were to ask if you and Adam would like to accompany my wife and I to dinner.." He paused, "tonight?"

"Yes, it would be." His eyebrow raised, "But I would lo- we would love to."

Justin smiled and it completely broke my heart all over again. "So it's a date?" He asked, unsure.

I gulped, "I-It's a date."

*virtually hugs you all* K, bye babes.

- Mira.