I'm Not my Brother's Keeper

"No! I'm asking you Daquan! What in the hell are y'all involved in? And why is everybody keeping it from me!?"
"To keep you safe Kris! You don't need to know everything! Okay? Now drop it!"
"I'm not dripping ANYTHING Daquan!" I grab his face and pull him down so we're looking eye to eye. "I loved you! I put up with ALL of your bullshit for you to fake a breakup with me? Without letting me in on it? And you want me to drop it?! I'm pregnant by someone I thought loved me? Because you told him to? And you want me to drop it?! My brother is in that hospital, laid up in ICU, I don't even know if I should love him at this point. And you want me to drop it?! No! I want answers!" My whole argument is like I'm questioning him. I've been nothing but hurt since Daquan left me. And now I don't know who I can trust. Each second I look at him, the angrier I get.
"Kris..." Daquan says softly. He's holding back tears. I can tell that he's really hurting as well. "Look, it's like this... We all fell in with the wrong crowd. And now in order for us to get out, its tasks we have to complete. And if they knew I was still attached to you so closely..." Daquan begins to cry. "I was scared they would try to hurt you. So I left. To let things cool off for a while. I told Marcus to take good care of you because I know how close you two are. I would have never told him to do what he did! You think I want to see the mother of my future kids ,so I thought, pregnant with another man's child? Kris I--" Tires screech and Daquan pushes me behind him.
A black car drives off. "Was that Mike's car?" I asked "Daquan what was that about?!"
Daquan grabs both of my arms and looks me in my eyes. "I'm going to protect. I promise. I don't care what happens. No matter what."
"Daquan! You're scaring me. What aren't you telling me?!"
"Your brother's accident..." Daquan takes a long pause. "wasn't an accident"