Where Do We Go

"He's dead?!" Mom asks. "......he's not dead. But I have to tell you the truth ma'am. We don't expect him to live to much longer. Maybe a week or two. He suffered major head trauma, both of his lungs are punchered, cracked and broken ribs, the list goes on. But we have him stable now. And I promise you we'll continue to do all we can. All you can do is pray. I'm only a doctor. I see miracles happen everyday. So don't let that news discourage you. Again, I'm so sorry." He hugs my mother and leaves the room. We head to CCU to see Kyle. Walking in to the sight of my brother broke my heart for so many reasons. I was still so angry at him. I felt so betrayed. My own brother was the sole cause of the pain I was feeling. And yet him lying in the hospital bed, wrapped up, bruses everywhere, face barely recognizable, hurt me even more. I wanted nothing more than for Kyle to get up and walk away. All the cruel things I was thinking before I seen my brother faded. "Kyle--" Chey says weakly before bursting into tears and running over to his bed. Mom took a few minutes. I guess to let everything register. Mom tried so hard to hold it together, but that quickly failed. She joins Chey and holds Kyle's hand. As I'm walking over to give comfort to my mother, brother and sister, I hear a familiar voice. "Kris..." OMG it can't be!