Chapter Two

The next morning I spent a little longer getting ready than was necessary. I decided that the weather was too nice for a coat so I just wore my school jumper and my Adidas body-warmer. I sprayed my normal Lacoste Joy of pink "School" perfume and put my heart chain around my neck. I put my red rose studs in and sat in front of my mirror. What to do with my hair?? It was long enough that I could style it nicely but I didn't have the time, and I didn't wear my hair out in school so I opted for a high slick pony tail and I let my wavy hair hit my shoulders. That would do. I put on my black Vans and picked up my Just Do It bag. I was ready. I didn't wear makeup so my regime didn't take that long. Looking one more time in the mirror I walked to the door just as Sean knocked on it, indicating he was ready. We walked downstairs together and shouted bye to dad and Kieran before strolling to the bus stop. I had my headphones in but I could feel Sean's eyes on me, so I took one out and looked at him. 

"Was you with that Rio yute last night?" he questioned. He didn't look too happy...uh oh. I nodded. 

"Yea we went Kayla's, why?" He shrugged in response.

"Just be careful Shy. I mean he obviously likes you, he only agreed to come mine when someone mentioned I was your brother. But he's got a rep up in Reigate when it comes to girls, and bare girls at school are already on him, even my year. He will find it easy to get any girl, plus I heard he got a temper so I really don't wanna have to go against him you get me. Obviously I will if he tries to take you for a prick, but just be careful and all should be good." I nodded, we were now at the bus stop and the bus was arriving. I didn't say a word; my mind went into overdrive thinking bout what I just heard. Was he playing games? What kinda rep with girls? Arrr man, I like simple things, this ain't simple. Kayla was already on the bus so I sat down next to her and filled her in. 

"Omg madness he looks the type not gonna lie you think he has a girl? I bet he does, some any dog just leave him to it you can do much better he's so hot though do you really wanna let him go? What if he changes for you that would be so sweet its so bait he wants you, I dunno what you're gonna do it's so hard I feel for you I hope Chris is in today." I smiled at the welcome distraction that Kayla offered with her comical non-stop talk. Our stop came and we all piled off the bus. Me and Kayla linked arms and walked through the gates in search of our new friend Carina, and as we walked and talked I saw him at the entrance to the basketball court. He had a ball in his hand and was leaning his back against the wall talking to some of the boys from his year. He caught my eye and stopped talking. I held his stare as Kayla pulled me through the playground. Oh. He licked his lips and did that slow smile at me. I ripped my eyes from his face and sped up with my eyes stuck on the ground, avoiding him would be hard. We made it to form and Carina was there waiting. I plonked down next to her and smiled before dropping my head on the table and sighing heavily.

"Hey girlies, how was your night? Did either of you start those maths equations?" I groaned, I hadn't even looked at my work, other than my attempt on the art work. I looked up as the rest of our class made their appearance and through the window I saw him walk past. He was so beautiful; it was a bit much to be honest. He looked in and this time he frowned. He hesitated as if he didn't know whether to turn around or to continue, and my breath caught in my throat. A stab of disappointment went through me as he started walking again. "Well that was tense," Carina whispered. "Is that your boyfriend?" I shook my head fiercely, but before I could protest Kayla was in there like a shot explaining the whole situation. I zoned out for the rest of form and went through the rest of the morning focusing on my lessons. Today I had English double period, then Science before morning break, then it was double P.E, then lunch. Luckily Carina was in my English and Science class and Kayla and I had P.E together, so I didn't feel awkward. At morning break we all sat down in the playground. I sat with my back to the table and let the sun hit my face; it was turning into a nice day. Suddenly the sun disappeared. I opened my eyes to see Chris and his friend from the other day blocking the light. 

"Oh hi Chris," Kayla practically melted. What the hell? She never behaved like that. Urgh. He smiled and sat down next to her and they chatted quietly to avoid disturbing Carina doing her history assignment. His friend still stood in my way, I peeked up at him and he smiled.

"Hi." Oh no, I thought.

"Hi," I muttered quietly. He took it upon himself to sit beside me. I vaguely remembered him from last year; his name was Kareem and he was an ok dude from what I could recall, but I really didn't need his convo right now. 

"You look really nice today Shy. What you up to after school?" I looked down at my Vans.

"Nothing," I replied, hoping he would realise how blunt I was being. He didn't. 

"Oh iyt. I thought maybe you was going to McDonald's with them lot or something. Maybe if you're not busy we could check it out?" Urgh. I forgot our McDonald's hangout. I shook my head slowly. 

"Not really my scene Kareem, but thanks," I muttered, getting up and throwing my bag over my shoulder. After saying bye to Carina and telling Kayla I was goin to get ready, I made my way to my locker. Whilst swapping  my bag for my P.E stuff my phone dropped to the floor. I winced, hoping it didn't break. Before I had a chance he was there picking it up and examining it. 

"Team iPhone yea? It's your lucky day Miss Shy. Didn't even scratch it." I knew my face was scarlet red. I mumbled my thanks and held out my hand to retrieve the phone, but he had other plans. "You got P.E now? I'll walk you." I wanted to shout no and run down the corridor in the opposite direction but he was smiling at me in that way of his and I was in a trance. God I hated this. I slammed my locker shut and with my gym bag now over his shoulder and my iPhone still in his hand, he wrapped his arm round my shoulders and steered me towards the sports hall. "So what's happened between now and last night Shy?" he questioned still looking straight ahead. I shook my head and looked down. "Well obviously something happened cos last night I could have sworn you actually liked me and today you won't even look me in my face. So let me know." I shook my head again. How could I say to him I felt uncomfortable knowing how many girls liked him and that I knew he had a rep? I would sound so pathetic; I'm not even his girlfriend for God sake. 

"It's nothing, I just got a lot on my mind," I whispered, which actually wasn't a lie. He had lowered his ear to my mouth to hear what I said and I got a whiff of his Joop aftershave. Oh. Why does he affect me like this? 

"It's gotta be something Shy, I don't take you for a game player and yesterday I think you would have let me kiss you if I tried, and now even putting my arm round you you're all stiff." My face returned to its bright red that he probably assumed was my natural colour by now. How dare he suggest it! But how could I argue when it was true? I would have, I wanted him to. Oh no. He noticed my red face and stopped walking, turning me to face him. My eyes burned holes through his tie. He smelt delicious. "Shy I'm not tryna embarrass you, I want to be someone you feel comfortable with. I didn't say it to make myself look good I'm saying it cos I know you won't admit it, but there's something there and I'm taking things slow cos I don't wanna scare you away, but I like you Shy. Ain't stopped thinking about you. I thought it ended alright yesterday, but today I get the cold shoulder? If it's a game, I don't wanna play Shy. I'm not on it at all." Oh. I looked up at him and he was waiting for me to speak. His eyes were searching my face. Seeing as he is being sincere, I might as well be honest too. 

"People are saying you have a rep and loads of girls in school like you, even the year tens, so I don't get why you would choose just me. And I'm not playing games but I don't wanna be your game either, I'm not a challenge and I don't wanna be played." There, I said it. I glanced up at his face again worried at his reaction, he looked pissed. He didn't even respond. Oh shit. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly looking down the corridor like he was thinking hard. I took my opportunity and turned the corner towards the sports hall. Mr Domes was just letting everyone in the sports hall. Rio grabbed my arm and spun me round to face him. 

"Shy please, I..."

"Miss Monroe, Mr Creed! In your own time please," Mr Domes' shouting interrupted. I looked at Rio, my back still to the teacher; though I'm pretty sure he could see Rio holding my arm. Rio looked as if he hadn't even heard him, he was looking down at me with pleading eyes. What the hell was going on? "Mr Creed?!" he repeated louder. I jumped and looked down at my arm then back at Rio. He looked in my eyes for a moment longer and then let go. He passed me my bag and phone and then walked past me. Running his hand over his waves, he passed the teacher and entered the sports hall. I stood rooted to the spot. Why did I want to cry, what just happened? "Miss Monroe?" I spun round and walked quickly into the sports hall. "You ok?" Mr Domes questioned, concerned. I nodded and rushed past him to get ready.

The double P.E session was trampolining, so for the most part Kayla and I sat talking till it was our turn. The hall was divided by the thick curtain in the centre but we could still hear the year ten basketball game, and when Miss Range let us clear away we sat on the bench and watched the year ten boys play basketball on one court and the girls on another. Of course my attention focused on Rio. He looked amazing in the black polo top and black shorts with the red stripe, he was wearing a string vest underneath and his black air forces looked fresh. He looked older than the other boys, his legs weren't all skinny and ugly like theirs and you could see his muscles defined under the polo. I was mesmerised as I watched him, it became apparent that he was good at the game. The others who were obviously more suited to football failed miserably tryna get the ball from him. The year ten girls had finished their game and now joined us on the bench watching the boys. All the girls giggled and whooped when his shots went in and I felt a stab of jealousy. when the game was done he shook hands with his opponents and team mates, never taking his eyes off of me as he walked towards me; sweat dripping from his brow and the basketball firmly under his right arm. I watched in fascination as all the girls’ eyes followed him off the court watching him watching me. I could feel myself going bright red, I knew they were staring at me, I could feel it. When he stopped he loomed over me and smiled weakly as if he weren't sure I would want him to be there.

"Wait for me please Shy? I thought we could get lunch?" I heard the girls around me gasp and felt a little bit of joy jolt through me. He was making it completely obvious to everyone that he wanted to spend time with me. The joy was quickly replaced with dread when Lacey, one of the year tens, snorted and then whispered not so quietly to her friend:

"He's gotta be kidding, she don't even talk." Great now I was gonna be hated by the older girls, which was definitely not needed. His eyes remained locked on mine as he waited my response. None of the girls surrounding us had made no effort to move, obviously waiting for a bit of gossip to spread over lunch time. 

"O-ok," I stammered and he breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Cool, I'll meet you outside." I stood up on shaky legs and entered the girls changing rooms. After changing and smoothing my hair back I left the girls speculating about Rio and how fine he was and went to wait outside. Kayla had not stopped talking since we left the court and was in the process of cussing Lacey's nasty weave when I waved my goodbye. He was outside waiting, leaning against the wall with his beloved basketball spinning it on his finger. I felt much more comfortable now I was back in my school trousers and jumper. He smiled when he saw me and pushed himself off the wall. He threw the basketball to some year 7s who eagerly tried to master the same technique and walked towards me with his rucksack on his back. Holding it in place with both hands he began to walk beside me and looked down when he felt my eyes on him. He sighed heavily and then launched into a big explanation. "Look Shy...I'm sorry about earlier and the rumours and just everything. I know I need to explain, and I promise I will, anything you need to know but not here please. I need you to understand. I fucked up in the past but that's not me, and you're gonna hear a lot of shit about me but I promise I ain't about that any more. I don't want you to think I'm playing you." Oh. I knew this wasn't gonna be simple. Why would the first guy that I'm interested in be a nut job? What did I do to deserve this? He was looking down at me like he half expected me to run off. Part of me wanted to, but I stayed walking beside him, looking up into his dark eyes. 

"Cafe or canteen?" I asked, and his sexy slow smile appeared. 

"Cafe is quieter right?" I nodded. "Cafe it is then," he said taking my gym bag from me and heading towards our lockers. Once we ordered our chips in the cafe that was located on the 5th floor of school, we sat in the corner booth and chatted. Yes, chatted. As in he spoke and so did I. Mostly we spoke about school which was weird. He asked about my family and I told him, and lastly he asked what I was doing after school. When I said I had work to do he smiled. "That's what I like about you Shy, you got your head screwed on. Most girls would say nothing hoping that the guy offers to take them out." I laughed and shrugged. I genuinely liked spending time with him but I needed to make sure work came first.

At the sound of the bell, which came all too quickly, we both stood reluctantly. There weren't many people around but I still felt embarrassed when the bell sounded reminding me we were at school, not on a date. 

"Well Shy, I enjoyed myself this lunch," he said smiling down on me. 

"Me too." I smiled up at him. We walked back down the staircase to the deserted 3rd floor with Rio making me laugh. He was walking backwards down the stairs facing me as we laughed and joked when he lost his footing. He fell down the remaining three steps and landed in a heap. I was too busy pissing myself with laughter to even check he was ok. I actually couldn't breathe! As I got to the bottom stair I realised something was wrong and knelt down beside him. He was clutching his hand in agony and I felt so guilty for laughing. His arm was an ugly red and blue colour that looked disgusting against his dark skin and it already looked swollen. He scowled up at me. 

"I better get some major TLC for you laughing." He kissed his teeth and I but my lip to stop from laughing. I helped him up and went with him to the first aid office where he was immediately sent to the hospital. I was sent back to lesson but I couldn't even focus, I felt so bad. I decided I would do something nice when he returned to school. I was in my last lesson of the day which was R.E when I felt my phone vibrate in my trouser pocket. Thinking it was Kayla who would now be in her geography class, I pulled out my phone with a smile expecting some stupid remark about Chris. But instead it said: "That tlc better start today, I broke my arm you can do your work at mine. R x" What the hell? The number was saved under "Hubby x" Oh. Kmt this boy was too sneaky, but I was beaming. I couldn't take the smile off my face even if I tried. The phone vibrated again and the new message had his address and a wink smiley, I was smiling even harder. I practically skipped out of lesson at the last bell and sprinted to Kayla's locker to tell her. She was leaning against it being chatted up by Chris whilst Carina was explaining something technical to Kareem who looked more than uninterested.  I coughed and signalled them both over to tell them my news. Carina's advice was to use protection and make sure I didn't do anything I wasn't comfortable with, and Kayla didn't really give advice; more just sped through all the possible scenarios and told me I had to be nice to him before suddenly blurting out that she was going out with Chris that evening. Conversation quickly switched to this as we walked out of school and I said my goodbye's at the gate, seeing as I was now going to Rio's and not mine. He lived literally 3 minutes from school and I got there before I even had time to prepare myself. I sent my dad a quick text to say I was in the library and then knocked on the door. After a minute, a short older woman maybe in her late 50's opened the door. She had shoulder length brown hair speckled with grey and she wore her small glasses low on her nose. I went red. I dunno why but I did, and before I could recompose myself she smiled down at me. 

"Shy hunny, is that you? I've heard so much about you. Please come on in, he has been expecting you." I nodded, shocked that she knew who I was. I liked her instantly and as I waited for her to pour me some juice I answered her questions about school and family. She gave me my drink and directed me to Rio's room before touching my cheek lightly. "What a beautiful young lady. No wonder Rio is walking around smiling stupid. You have had quiet the effect. Now, I'm off to work soon but you make sure the two of you eat. There is curry-goat and rice in the fridge that you can warn up. Please help yourself child. Nice to meet you Chyanne." I thanked her and headed upstairs to the last door on the right. I knocked before popping my head in the room and there he was propped up in bed like a wounded soldier on the phone. He looked so cute. He smiled when he saw me and motioned for me to come in with his bad hand. I walked in and shut the door before looking around his room. It was beautiful; everything was beige and tan and he had a double bed with a flat screen TV, I was so jealous. His room was big and neat which I was not expecting, but at the same time I wasn't surprised. He had a basketball hoop on the door of his cupboard and a huge poster of Megan Good on his far wall. He quickly ended the call. 

"Yea I know what you're saying, but I think she's chatting shit so just be careful... Iyt cuz, well I'mma bounce cos I got shit to do, but holla me tomorrow about the other ting... Ye Ye kool." He then looked up at me grinning like an idiot. 

"Hi," I said shyly still standing in the middle of the room.

"Hi yourself," he replied. "Do I get a hug?" I walked over and bent to wrap my arms around his neck. He pulled me closer with his good arm and I rested my head on his shoulder. 

"How's your arm?"

"Broken." Oh.

He laughed at my face and pulled me down on the bed next to him. He handed me the remote and went to go toilet. I watched him walk away with his string vest and school trousers on. He really did not look 15. I sat with my legs crossed flicking through the channels. He had Sky for God sake. I found a film I liked and got comfy on his bed. He came back and laid beside me, pulling me closer so my head rested on his chest. God he smelt good. We watched the movie in silence and when it was over I looked up to see he was asleep. I studied his face; he really was the best looking boy in school. He stirred and opened his eyes slowly. Looking down at me, he smiled. 

"Hi," he said groggily.

"Hi yourself," I teased, and he chuckled whilst rubbing his waves. "I should go," I whispered. 

"What's the time?" he questioned. I pressed the button on the phone and showed him it was coming up to 5. He frowned. "It's early Miss Shy, why you in a rush?" he said looking down at me. 

"You was asleep and I got work to do," I said apologetically and he nodded his head.

"Ok, but do I get a kiss goodbye?" he questioned. He saw me hesitate and immediately pleaded his case. "Come on Shy, it nearly killed me holding back yesterday. I'm injured; I need you to be mine." I laughed at his attempt at pouting, but then stopped when I realised he had just asked me out. I stared at him for a long while; his dark eyes begging me to give him a chance and his hand over mine on the bed with his thumb grazing my knuckles softly. 

"Ok ok, but I wanna know everything first Rio; the rumours, the rep, all of it first. Then maybe we can be together," I said quietly. His face looked pale and he couldn't look me in the eye anymore, but he gulped then nodded so I guess I was getting somewhere. 

"Ok, that's only fair I guess." He sighed, stroking his hair absentmindedly, and he then began the most painful story I had ever had to listen to...