Please Be Okay.

Carlo

    Jacob's constant squealing drove me back to my cabin and I was about to leave for my room when he caught on to my hand and pulled me back before I stepped on the stairs. Smiling, he said, "I'm sorry if I'm being such a girl right now but I put a bet on you and I am so glad I won."

"What was the bet?"

He let go of me and his hands fell to his side, "You'll be with Es before the end of the camp." Jacob must have noticed the pretty annoyed look engraved on my face because he added quickly, "Don't fret. It's just something me and the boys do...sometimes. I mean the moment we saw the both of you we knew something was going on somewhere." His eyes widened further, "And this same look you're giving me was what you had on your face when Es was around Preston."

"Is Alex part of this?" I asked to be sure Alex wasn't playing Es and I when he said things about Preston. It would be annoying to know Preston wasn't actually a bad guy and Alex only did it so Es and I could be together. Not that the idea was dumb... It would just be wrong.

"No. Please, Alex doesn't get into anybody's business unless you were dating Preston." He scratched the back of his head, "I wasn't here when Alex and Preston started the beef but it's been going on for a while. It even cooled down with Es, normally he made sure they break up."

"Did you ask what happened?" I said, curiosity seeping out of my words but who wouldn't be curious.

"He said something about Preston being psycho but it only made us think he was the one crazy. Since then he doesn't talk about it. Only MK believes him and hates Preston the same way he does."

     That must explain why Alex doesn't want to tell me the reason why he hated Preston. He thought I would call him crazy.

     I looked back at Jacob to see him still smiling but typing furiously into his phone. Raising a brow, I asked, "Who are you texting?"

"Your sister and Jacinta. They are going to flip."

"They bet with you?"

"Yeah. Val and Dave were the people we bet against." He laughed and said, "I can practically hear Jacinta screaming through her text." He kept his phone back in his pocket then nodded at me.

"So the only problem now is to get rid of Preston, right?"

My eyes narrowed instantly, "You sound like you want to have him killed."

He shrugged, "Would work too." He smirked in response to my eye roll and added, "You sister said she saw Es heading to the manager's building. Do you know what he's doing there?"

"We haven't talked since my stupid confession." I sighed, turning towards the sitting room. There were only a few people in the cabin and out of the few I knew Alex was one of them. He never left the cabin unless we had cabin meeting or he had something important to do. His boyfriend, on the other hand, always left for basketball practice then came back to him right after lunch.

"Anyway," I continued, throwing myself on the couch and looking up at Jacob who had followed me to the living room, "Whenever we meet, we are just going to go back to being friends. That seems right."

"Just because it seems right to you doesn't mean it's right. It's how you feel that matters. If you love him, you won't be able to handle being friends, trust me."

"Been in the situation?" Jacob sat beside me as I said that.

He shrugged then tapped my knee in a comforting way and I smiled.

    Coming to the camp, I had a goal. I wanted to be more confident in myself. I didn't know if I'd changed much but I knew there was a difference in me because right now Jacob was being a friend to me. Something I depended on only Es to be.