Chapter 9: Gone

I don't know what I had really gotten myself into when agreed to marry Charlotte. She was starting to rack my every nerve. My whole being wanted nothing more than to beat her down and I wasn't a violent person at all but she's was so aggravating.

As I walked down the side walk and through the gate to the house ,I could a hear a choked sob.

I raised an eyebrow, confused for what could be going on.

I walked inside slowly, searching for the crying person.

"Charlotte?" I called.

No answer. Just another choked sob.

I followed the sobbing upstairs to my study ,where Charlotte sat reading my journal.

She looked up at me with tear filled eyes and a blazing expression.

"Is this what you think of me? A very lonely and delusional woman with a wild and graciously beautiful daughter? Did you only marry me to get to my daughter?"

"Charlotte, it's...its characterization for a book I'm starting."

"Don't lie to me! Not again!" She threw the book at me and stormed out of the room to our room. She slammed the door shut.

"Charlotte." I pleaded from outside the door.

"Please open up. We should talk about this. Why don't I get us a drink? We could both use one. That's what I'll do. Get us drink." I hurried downstairs and took my time making our drinks and finding the things.

I even stopped for a moment thinking on what I was going to say to her. What exactly could I say?

I couldn't tell her I had fallen hard for her seventeen year old daughter. She wouldn't like that one bit. But she also wouldn't like it if I lied to her again.

Oh, women!

Just as I was about to bring Charlotte her drink, the phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Is this Mr. McCartney?"

"Yes?"

"Sir, I'm sorry to tell you this, but your wife is dead."

"Don't be ridiculous. She's perfectly fine." I hung up and called for Charlotte.

"Charlotte, I just got the most ridiculous call. Someone said you were dead." I walked upstairs to see the door wide open.

"Charlotte?"  I walked back downstairs to see the front door partly opened.

"Oh on." I walked slowly to the door and outside.

People were gathered all around. A fire truck, and an ambulance and a police car.

I walked up slowly to see what was wrong.

I looked over everyone to see Charlotte face down on the road with blood everywhere.

I covered my mouth and ran a hand through my hair.

"Is she your wife sir?" A police officer asked.

"Yes sir." I said.

"I'm sorry. She just came out of no where." A man apologized.

I ignored it all and blocked out all the noise. The talking, the sirens, the profuse apologies from the man.

Then a small little girl walked up to me.

"She was mailing these." She handed me a stack of letters.

"Thank you." I walked back into the house and shut the door.

I couldn't believe she was actually gone. What had I done? What would Lolita think of this?

Where would Lolita go?

I looked at the stack of letters in my hands, seeing they were all addressed to Lolita. I decided not to read them and threw them in the fire place instead.

I thought for a moment before realizing, I have custody over Lolita. She would now be in my care.

My care.

---

I decided to get Lolita from camp.

I missed her terribly and I was sure she'd be pleased with my appearance.

"Uhm, I'm looking for Lolita Hayes?"

"And you are?" The elderly woman asked.

"Her father." I said smoothly.

"She's in the barn with Joey."

"Joey?" I asked.

"I'll go get her." She smiled.

I waited outside the camp. I looked around at the crafts and things that hung from the ceiling.

Then I heard the sound of wheels on gravel.

I looked up to see Lolita.

My heart pounded hard and I looked at her as she blew her bubble gum.

"Hi dad." She smiled.

Oh dad indeed.

A/n: Yayy update. R.I.P Charlotte! Tbh we all ship #Palita anyway. Sorry not sorry, lol. Vote and comment for an update please! (: MASSIVE AND SPECIAL THANKS to Enchancer97 for making these two BEAUTIFUL covers! I absolutely adore them! Thank you again, darling! (: <3