Chapter Ten

“You’re meant to be going on your hot date with Gabriel tonight, right?” Leila mentioned nonchalantly, in that way so I knew she wanted to talk about it, but didn’t want to seem too overt. 

   We were walking around Beverly Hill’s Central mall, without any real direction. We had been making fun of the typical teenagers hanging out in the food court, the mother’s leaving the beauty salons with tangerine tans and silicon breasts. It was nice having a good friend who was a girl, because as much as I loved hanging out with Gabes and Henry, it was good to have someone you could talk to more intimately, who would perhaps understand more of what I was going through. 

   “Yes,” I nodded, grinning. “I need to find something to wear.” Gabriel had promised to take me to the pier tonight, out at Santa Monica, because in all my years of living in California, I had never been. 

   “I see,” she smiled. “How about Urban Outfitters?” She raised an eyebrow and I beamed at her. 

   “Sure,” I nodded, and Leila lead me up to the second floor, as I didn’t know my way around too well. The store had an industrial interior, wrought, iron beams overhead and rails of clothes scattered across the floor. There were male sales assistants posted on the doors, wearing ripped jeans and beanie hats, looking like models from a fashion magazine. One of them winked at Leila and she began to blush. 

   “I don’t understand why you don’t have a boyfriend,” I admitted, peering at the rails of clothes, “you’re totally stunning.” 

   “I guess I just haven’t found the right person yet,” she shrugged. I held a dress up against my body but Leila just shook her head, so I replaced it on the hanger. 

   “How about Henry?” I said casually and she rolled her eyes exaggeratedly, flicking her long hair over one shoulder, letting it fall in chestnut waves across her back. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-” 

   “-No, Jia, it’s fine,” Leila smiled meekly, “you haven’t been the first person to mention it. He is my greatest friend, the best I have ever had, and I love spending time with him, and when we were going out we had so much fun, but it just felt strange, you know? Kissing him was fine, great to be honest, but when it came to other stuff, I just couldn’t do it, I’ve known him since he was five, it was weird.” 

   “I get it, I do,” I assured her. 

   “But then there’s this conflict I have,” she shook her head and laughed cynically. “Henry’s hot right?” 

   “Uh, yeah,” I nodded, grinning. 

   “And he’s funny and sweet and he knows me better than any human being on this planet,” Leila sighed. “Sometimes I feel bad because I get the feeling he has always loved me more than I love him.” 

   “There’s nothing you can do about that,” I offered, smiling sympathetically. 

   “I guess, yeah, maybe one day it will happen, but not now, the timing’s all wrong,” she replied. “I’m sorry, I’m being a massive downer.” 

   “It’s fine,” I reassured her. “Hey, what do you think of this?” I asked, holding up a Levi’s jean skirt with a torn bottom edge. 

   “I like it, with this?” She handed me a burgundy, paisley shirt, with buttons all the way up to the collar, that I could tuck into the high waist of the skirt and wear with a belt and maybe even braces if I liked. 

   “I think we’re onto a winner,” Leila giggled, “you’re going to look so Cali.” I was laughing when I felt my phone vibrate in my jeans pocket and I slipped it out, peering at the text and feeling my heart sink.