Chapter Four

“What the hell are people’s problems?” I asked exasperatedly, as I grabbed a lunch tray and walked along the front of the cafeteria. The lunch lady dolloped a large pile of brown slosh on my plate and I couldn’t help but grimace, “I’m sorry, I wanted the lasagna?” I said apologetically. 

   “That is the lasagna,” the canteen worker said flatly, her face resolute. I attempted a weak smile and then turned to Gabriel, unamused, making him laugh gleefully. 

   “You’re new, you’re interesting and exotic,” Gabes shrugged, “they’re bored and jealous.” He grabbed my tray for me and walked us to a table, where Henry and Leila were already seated. He put down my tray in a space beside him and I slid into the seat, sighing. 

   “Can’t they at least pretend not to be staring?” I groaned and Henry promptly looked behind him, sticking up a middle finger and causing the group of people to start whispering, disgruntled; they were such idiots. “Henry, that’s not going to make them like me anymore, although I appreciate the gesture.” 

   “Oh come on, they’re populars, you don’t need them,” he replied, frowning. 

   “I’m guessing you guys aren’t in with that crowd then?” I had been wondering where my new group of friends fitted into the school, what they were labelled as. It was hard to judge, because Gabriel was on the soccer team, a jock in some ways, but he was a total geek too, and not afraid of admitting it. 

   “Nah,” Gabriel shrugged wearily, “they think we act differently on purpose, they think we like different kinds of music or wear different clothes as a plea for attention.” 

   “So, they’re the stuck-up kind?” I guessed, nodding over to the group we had just been discussing. 

   “Hello?” Leila chimed in, twirling her brown ringlets around her first finger, “everyone at this school is stuck-up, it’s like Lord of the Barbies in this place.” 

   “You never quite know who’s going to bite you in the back,” Henry joked, poking Leila in her side and causing her to laugh delightedly as he pretended to bite her neck, blowing raspberries against her tanned skin. 

   “Hey, where’s the restroom again?” I turned to Gabriel, who finished his mouthful before answering. 

   “Just down the hall and to your left,” he grinned. 

   “Thanks, you can have mine by the way,” I pushed my plate of food towards him and he laughed as I left the cafeteria and headed down the hallway towards the restroom. All of a sudden, I felt someone pull on the back of my jacket, turning me around and causing me to gasp. 

   “Jia right?” The girl exclaimed, her wide Beverly Hills smile strangely disconcerting. 

   “Uh, yeah,” I said slowly, totally bewildered by this situation. 

   “I’m Tatty,” she grinned, “well, not tatty, obviously,” she let out a piercing cackle and put out her hand, her nails carefully manicured, flicking her long, bottle blonde hair off her shoulders. 

   “Wow, well, nice meeting you Tatty-not-tatty,” I said uncertainly, “but if you’ll excuse me, I need to use the restroom,” I tried to move way but she just pulled me back with a sharp tug. 

   “Uh, no,” her tone had flattened, “I need to talk to you about something,” she sounded harsh, spiteful. 

   “Fine,” I sighed, putting a hand on my hip, “go ahead.” 

   “You need to stay away from Gabriel.” 

   “Stay away from him?” I raised an eyebrow sarcastically.