[21] The Third Survivor

A/N: Since this is an OC-centric story, I’ve decided that I’m not going to worry too much about what’s been happening recently in the manga. Of course I’m still going to read (even though I’m upset about Obito not getting executed… Did he or did he not?), but I’m going to prioritize updating. 

“No! No! No no no no no no no no no! I’m telling you I can’t do it!”

Osamu growled under his breath and tried to wriggle out of his student’s hold around his waist. As she shook her head, wailing, he tried his hardest to feel less bothered and focused on prying her thin arms from his torso.

“You can. We have taken a few missions separately. How is splitting up during a long-term mission any different? It’s not like I am not planning on meeting with you after a few days!” Clicking his tongue, he felt a sense of victory wash over him as Kohana fell flat on her face.

Before he could place a safe distance between them, however, two hands grabbed his left ankle, keeping him firmly in place.

He suddenly regretted improving the strength of her arms and hands so much.

Kohana whimpered, glaring up at Osamu. “But, but what if something bad happens?”

Bad? Since when are you ever concerned about danger?” Osamu said rather harshly, but he still had a point.

Kohana didn’t seem to be bothered by it. “What if I get lost?”

“You have a map.”

“What if—“

“Why are you suddenly like this? Originally, you were the only one who was supposed to take this mission. I’m only here to ensure that you won’t do anything reckless—“his mouth automatically clamped shut. He had just dug his own grave.

The red head grinned deviously up at him. “See? You have to look after me.”

With what control he knew was appropriate, Osamu raised his right foot and nudged the right side of Kohana’s face with his toes. “Yes, yes.  I understand what this is really about.”

Kohana’s eyes glimmered, but she refused to let go still. “R-Really?”

“Yes. You don’t want to split up because you want me to take care of the fees to most of your necessities for the whole duration of this search.”

She pouted. “What makes you think I’m that selfish? It could because I’m keeping you from chickening out when I finally want to ask you something.”

Osamu sighed once again. He sure did that a lot around Kohana.

“We both know that is not the case, Kohana. First of all, being alone would give you enough time to ponder over the things you’d want to ask me. Second, there are plenty more opportunities for us to be able to talk.”

“…You got me there.”

“Very good, now will you please release me?”

“Not until you agree to stay with me for the whole mission.”

“Give me all your money!” A man was panting, his face slick with sweat, black hair greasy and his clothes were tattered. His skin was bruised and bloody and caked with dirt. Over all, he was not a pretty sight at all. Kohana felt pity for him, but she didn’t let it show. It was easy because she was irritated at the moment; she’d just been thinking about the questions she would ask Osamu, how she should say them and how he would react. She welcomed the chances that he’d dodge certain topics until he’d feel comfortable enough to reveal something he normally wouldn’t be okay revealing.