[10] Nostalgia

A/N: Merry Christmas! Since this is the tenth chapter, I reserved it for Naruto and Kohana. To be honest, this was shorter than originally planned, but this will suffice. After all, Naruto's not one for super long, touching conversations. Don't want him to be redundant, do we? :))

“Naruto,” Kohana muttered with a shake of her head, “you really are a persistent bastard.”

The blonde Jinchuuriki smiled a little wryly and let go of his sister’s wrist, which automatically retreated back to her side, limp.

Currently, they were on the balcony of Naruto’s home, enjoying the wind that gently kissed their faces and blew through their soft locks of hair. Naruto turned his head to the sky, resting his tanned arms on the railing while Kohana looked down at the people on the streets. The stores all around were already beginning to close down for the day—with the exception of some, and most residents were walking around—whether it be to go home or someplace else. She couldn’t help but think how peaceful it was.

Secretly, she envied most residents of Konoha. Unlike shinobi, they had choices to make without the fear of dying or having their comrades die. They had no such weight on their shoulders and their lives were things they actually owned. That was something Kohana may have been wishing for… and that was nothing new at all.

Once upon a time, she was grateful for every single thing she had. She enjoyed training every day, acing exams, skipping class and just playing around as a child. Even when they all became shinobi, she still enjoyed training—pushing herself to the limit, learning new things, spending time with so many people. She often watched the innocent residents and wondered how they could live without experiencing the benefits and advantages of being a shinobi.

Of having a rightful place in the village—a duty that shaped who they were and what they lived for.

However, Kohana never expected everything to fall apart like things did just a few years ago. She was aware that she’d grown from everything she used to think about the village—the world. And yet, even if she had outgrown all of her past values, she never wished so much in her life to cry once again.

To cry tears of joy, sadness, anger… anything. She only cried for herself… and not for others—which was something she was aware she missed… because—

“Hana-chan… are you okay?”

Kohana’s eyes slowly shifted to Naruto. He wasn’t looking at her, simply keeping his eyes glued to the abundance of stars above.

Before she could think of an answer, she first pondered on what he’d asked, switching her gaze to her hands, which were intertwined. Her lashes served as veils for her darker blue orbs, and she wondered if Naruto knew what she’d heard in his sentence.

“I don’t know…” she simply whispered, inhaling deeply.

Naruto spared the red head a glance, but it never lingered.

It wasn’t long before he grinned.

“Do you remember the first time we talked?”

Kohana found herself smiling a little. That was a memory she’d choose to never, ever forget. That was the start of their adventure as best friends… before they slowly grew to become closer and closer… until they were stuck to each other… like real siblings.

“Of course, Naruto,” she replied softly.

“I think—no, that was and still is the best memory of my entire life.”

Truly shocked and rendered speechless, Kohana’s head snapped up.

Naruto leaned forward slightly to rest his whiskered cheek against his fist as he turned to her yet again. This time, he was sporting a dazzling smile—one that Kohana knew was just for her. For some reason, that smile gave off the feeling.