[12] The Snake, the Medic and an Emotionless Traitor

A/N: Here it is! Sasuke comes out in the next chapter (I think)—which won’t come very soon because I’m still in a mental debate on what I should really do and how Kohana should really react.

Remind me… why did I make this girl so difficult?! I’M LOSING MY MIND! Not really… but you guys get it.

The earlier dispute between Naruto and Sai after the simulation was forgotten (for now). Just a few hours ago, not everyone was determined to dive right into the mission. What Sai had said about his brother plunged everyone into some kind of depression—most especially Naruto. Kohana knew what it was like to have a brother, so she’d sided with Naruto during that time. However, she found that there was no point in her doing so.

It wasn’t like Sai was in the wrong.

Sai was just… Sai. If he didn’t have any emotions, then something definitely happened to have caused something that “tragic” to happen. So that was definitely saying that nothing was Sai’s fault—and there was no one to side with.

However, there was still a part of Kohana that envied Sai.

The boy didn’t feel emotions—despite the obvious disadvantages, there was no overlooking the fact that he didn’t feel any emotional pain. There was nothing to cry over, nothing that was needed to ascertain. He didn’t need to over think things like most people did and his resolve was always there.

Everything was absolute; there was nothing more to think about than that.

Other than the definition of happiness, love and all those other things that Kohana wouldn’t let herself have.

Kohana stared up at the ceiling. It was dark without the candle, and she was a little bit sure that she didn’t like that. For some reason, she felt so cold.

Naruto was a few paces away from her, snoring in that endearing way of his, but even that was not able to provide Kohana with the warmth that she needed. In fact, she wasn’t sure just what kind of warmth she needed.

Closing her eyes, she tried to sleep, but she found that a few memories slithered into her consciousness. These memories were definitely unwanted… but there was something about them that she just couldn’t push away.

She was in a room—a rather familiar room at that. The moon’s rays that peeked from the open window accompanied the wind that wafted in, filling the space and enveloping a young Kohana.

Kohana was staring forward at nothing in particular, deep in thought. She knew she was thinking of something, yet didn’t even realize that she was thinking at all. It was as though her mind was completely blank, but there were so many things there, so many things that she chose not to overlook.

Nevertheless, she was aware that she had things that she had to thoroughly ponder over. There were so many questions to be answered that time.

As she thought this, she also felt cold.

It wasn’t long before she felt a hand on her shoulder, and she rolled over to face the boy she’d been lying next to.

He asked her a few questions, until she found herself breaking down into tears—tears that were warm against her cheeks, yet she was shivering—not just trembling from the pain.

And the boy gathered her in his arms.

Kohana’s finger’s twitched as she rolled over and wrapped he arms around herself. She’d expected to see another futon right next to her, but there was nothing—nothing at all.