Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Sophie's POV

"I'd like to have a word with you two." My mum said, walking further into the room, after closing and locking the door behind her.

I shifted uncomfortably around on the bed, trying to sit up. She walked over to me, with one arm behind her back.

"You were bad. Very bad. Thinking you could get away like that. Why?" She said, walking closer still with her eyes fixed on mine. I didn't reply. "Why, Sophie? I'm talking to you." She snapped, making me feel unsettled.

I looked over at Harvey for some sort of help, but he wasn't looking in my direction. Instead, his eyes were fixed on the hand which was behind her back. He looked terrified.

That unnerved me even more, and I began to squirm about, making an attempt at loosening the rope tied tightly around my right wrist.

She stopped walking towards me, and gave glances towards both Harvey and I , before making her way over to Harvey. Then I saw what he looked so terrified about. She had a knife held in her hand, squeezed hard making her knuckles turn white.

"...Mum?" I said quietly. She turned around, with an almost evil glare spread across her face.

"What?" She spat, holding the knife at her front now. I didn't say anything again. "I'll talk to you in a minute, you little bitch." I looked away, shocked, as she turned back to Harvey. What the hell had happened to her? She's not my mum anymore.

She crouched in front of Harvey, who looked scared to death, and lifted up the knife. "Mum, please do-"

"Shut up." She said, moving the knife down and slicing through the rope around his wrist. "Get up." She said to him. As he scurried to his feet, she pushed him against the wall, holding the knife to his neck.

"I need to have a word with that wretch over there," she spat, shaking her head in my direction. "And while I do, you're going to get outside and stay there until I'm done, and you're not gonna move until I tell you. You understand?" She said.

He was shaking too much to reply. "I SAID: DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" He nodded his head quickly. She took the knife away from his neck, then pointed to the door. "Out." He almost ran out, and as he closed the door, his eyes met mine. "Get out." He mouthed, closing the door. My mother walked over to the door, and locked the inside bolt.

"What the hell were you doing?" She said, quietly, turning around with the knife still in her hand. I shifted again, sitting up as best as I could and leaning against the headboard of the uncomfortable bed.

"I...I gave you a safe place to stay in. To live. So you can be carefree from the world around you. AND THIS IS HOW YOU SAY THANK YOU?" She yelled, making me jump.

"ANSWER ME." I felt a sudden rush of anger flow through me. I scrunched my fists up, and opened my mouth.

"FOR THE MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME, I NEVER ASKED TO BE HERE." As soon as she began storming towards me, I knew that was a mistake.

"DON'T YOU YELL AT ME." She shrieked, bringing the knife up and slicing at the thick rope. As soon as it slid off of my wrist, I crawled back quickly, rolling off of the bed and running for the door. "Fuck, come on." I said, shaking at the bolt. It was stuck.

"HARVEY, OPEN THMPHH." I got cut off as my mum wrapped her hand around my mouth, and the other around my waist, bringing me down to the floor. "Ouch." I said, as my head hit hard against the floor.

I tried getting up, but she got on top of me, pinning me down by pressing her hands down on my shoulders. "Get off of m-"

"YOU DON'T KNOW HOW FUCKING DIFFICULT IT IS, LOOKING OUT FOR A CHILD. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE UNGRATEFUL LITTLE COWS. YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE."