Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sophie's POV

I snuck out of the side gate while Glenn was away, seeing off Carl and Daryl. I had a machete and small straight back knife in my holster belt, and an empty leg holster, strapped around my thigh.

I walked casually, lashing at tree stumps and bushes with my machete, while chewing on a piece of gum which Rick bought back for me and Carl when he went on the long run the other week.

I heard the revving of an engine coming closer towards me. Knowing it was Carl and Daryl, I ran behind the nearest tree and hid behind the stump, keeping out of their sight.

After a few seconds the sound died down and I ran out from behind the tree. There were practically no walkers, so I decided to sit on a log for a while.

I put my machette on the ground and pulled out my straight back knife. I looked at my reflection in the blade and zoned out for a while. I heard slight rustling behind me and turned around quickly to check for walkers. There was nothing there, so I turned back around with my knife in my hand.

I dug it into the bark next to me. I stared at the wood as I began to carve random letters. They began to form a name. Seconds later I was done.

AMY

I began scratching into the wood again, before I heard a car engine, coming from the airport. I was quite close to the small road clearing which was used for driving in and out of the airport. I got up and moved behind a tree, keeping an eye on the car which drove past.

Inside, I could just make out that Glenn was sitting, driving, with one hand on the wheel and the other running through his hair- something he only seems to do when he's worried. After he drove past, the coast was clear and I sat back down on the log, next to where I had carved the name Amy.

I began carving again, this time I started with 'B' I stopped and pondered for a moment, before carving out the name BROOKE.

I carved out the letter 'C' next, but then I was stopped by more rustling, louder this time, along with what sounded like fast footsteps.

I got up and put my knife away, before picking up the machete off of the ground. I held it up in front of me and walked cautiously towards the sound. I squinted in concentration, then heard more noise coming from behind me. I turned around again, holding the machete up, and saw the blur of about two bodies, running through the trees and bushes.

I began running towards them- I recognised the brown leather jacket from last time. They were the same people. Were they spying on me? spying on us? I began running in the same direction as them, almost tripping on the uneven ground beneath me.

"Hey, wait!" I called, but they kept on running, and they were soon out of sight. I couldn't run as fast as before. Although I didn't even have a bump yet, the baby definitely took it's toll on my fitness.

I caught my breath and sighed. I looked back, and continued slashing at random plants as I went back to the log. Although there were no walkers to kill, it was nice. Nice to just sit and watch the day go by all alone. Well, I guess I wasn't really alone.

I sat for about ten minutes, before I heard the car engine again. I started running back, through the uncleared way in the forest, to the airport. I was running parallel to where the car was going, so I knew I couldn't be spotted.

I got to the edge of the outer fence and snuck around it, before getting to the side gate. I could see the car pull up, just inside the main gate. I quickly looked around. No one could see me so I went in the gate and closer to the building, so that it looked like I had just come out of there.

I saw Glenn get out of the car, quickly, running his fingers through his hair again, before running to the back door of the car. I began to walk close, knowing I was allowed to be here at this time of day.

"Hey, Glenn, what are you- huh? Daryl?" I said, clmfused as Daryl jumped out of the car, clutching his arm tight. I could see blood seeping though his fingers.

"Daryl, what happened? Where's..." Then I saw him, laying across the back seats of the car.

Carl was lying unconcious, with several cuts and scrapes on his skin.... His over grown fringe had flopped to the side, revealing a large bruise on the side of his forehead. He was rushed inside.

****

Glenn's POV

I told Sophie to go and get some rest. She had been sitting by Carl's side for hours, without a bite to eat.

I sat, next to the bed he was on, looking at the floor. His bad cuts had been stitched by Maggie and Kate.

I heard a spring in the crappy old mattress 'ping' as Carl settled himself, moving his shoulders and clicking his neck, with an expression of discomfort. He turned himself to the side and his eyes flickered to life.

For a second, he squinted, trying to focus his vision, but then, he gave a little half smile and spoke.

"Is...is that you, Glenn?" he said, his voice a little croaky. I smiled and nodded.

"Hey, Carl. I knew you'd wake up."

"You...you've actually...got some facial hair going on, finally." He said, with a small laugh. I raised an eyebrow and gave a friendly smile, although I was very confused. What a weird comment to make.

"Hey, Carl, I'll be back in a bit. You stay here." I said, getting up. I ran out of the room and towards where Sophie was, in Her and Carl's store.

She sat up when she saw me, witn a hopeful look on her face.

"He's woken up, come on." I said, with a big grin on my face. We walked quickly back together and met Rick on the way. He was happy to know that his son was okay.

"Daryl's doin' good." Rick said "Kate pushed the bone back in place and they've bound and cast everything up." I smiled.

"Thank God. Ot could've been a whole lot worse." I said.

We got to the room where Carl was, and Sophie ran up to him, squeezing him in a hug. What happened next, though, made my happiness drop. Carl didn't hug back. He gave both Rick and I a strange look, before pushing Sophie off of him.

"Carl? What's the...oh, sorry baby. Did I hurt you?" she said, stepping back.

Carl stared at her, then to Rick, then back towards her. My eyes widened when I realised what was going on.

"I...uh...that was a nice hug and all, but...do I...know you?"

Sophie looked at him blankly for a couple of seconds, before raising an eyebrow.

"Wha...Carl? Are you...it...it's me, Sophie...I-"

"I'm sorry, but I don't remember...seeing you...ever."

Rick looked at me, with realisation as to what's going on.

"B...but Carl. We...I'm you're...girlfriend." she pointed to her stomach. "In...in there. That's your baby...your child...our child."

He remained silent, looking at her blankly. Sophie turned to us and gave us each a pleading look, with tears in her eyes.

"You...you can't do this." she said, looking back towards Carl. "YOU CAN'T FUCKING DO THIS TO ME, CARL." She shouted, as tears began pouring out of her eyes. "YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER. YOU FUCKING HAVE TO." She screamed, grabbing him by the shoulders and shaking him violently.

Carl looked shocked. "I...don't know you...stop." he said, under her crying. Rick reached out and pulled her away and she cried hard, the only thing keeping her standing were Rick's arms. I knelt to the floor and grabbed her, pulling her close to my chest, letting her cry onto me.

Rick looked at Carl amd said something to him. Carl shook his head, and then Rick looked towards me and gave a slow, unnerving nod.