Chapter 18

Chapter 18

2 and a half months later

Carl's POV

Recently, people had been getting really hyped about the walkers which got near the fences of the airport.

Its a bit stupid if you ask me-we're pretty safe. The area surrounding the airport is very rural and walkers aren't as common as elsewhere.
While people were on watch, some of us had to go into the forest to get rid of any oncoming walkers ourselves without using ammunition.

Today, I had that job. It was easy enough...stab, and go.

I was wandering alone, with a big straightback knife in my hand, looking out for any walkers which could be killed.

I didn't like this. Not just because I was alone...but because I knew that Sophie could start showing signs of labour any minute now...while I'm not there.

I wandered around until I stopped, hearing the growls of walkers from the near distance. I saw two emerge from a tree which I walked up to and got rid of, making my blue plaid shirt become splattered with deep red.

I heard more dragging footsteps and groaning from behind me. I turned around and saw three more walkers. I held my knife up and began to slice through their skulls.

As I stabbed the head of the last walker, I heard more rustling behind me. I turned quickly, when I heard footsteps and came face to face with a guy, who looked about thirty. He held a gun right in front of my face.

I held my knife up towards him, but it was knocked out of my hand by another man, who swiped it off me and held it in my direction.

I turned my head behind me and saw about three other people- two men and a woman- who circled around me, with various weapons held facing me.

I took a gulp and looked back towards the guy who first held his gun up at me.

"You're that asshole who killed my brother, aren't you?" He said.

"What?" Those guys that tried to stab Sophie?. "I...I di-"

"Cut the crap. I know it was you." I stood in silence, not knowing what to do.

"You're with that short pretty girl, aren't you." He started speaking again after a few seconds of silence. "You two've been getting busy, huh. She must be- what? Ready to pop any minute now." He said, with a smirk. He let out a laugh. I pressed my teeth together, clenching my jaw.

He started walking closer towards me, with the gun still raised. "You've got a group, right? At that airport nearby. You're looking pretty well in yourself, kid. You must have loads of food, water, ammo. Medical stuff." He said.

"What about it?" I replied. He started walking closer, so the gun was now against my chest. "Some of us tried gettin' in, a couple of months ago. We were told that we didn't seem the trustworthy type, so we had to leave. And I call bullshit." He pushed on my chest hard, making me step back.

I got pushed forward by another younger guy, who looked about my age. Then he started talking. "We are trustworthy. But you get on the wrong side of us, and we are anything but trustworthy." He said, with a glare.

"What...do you want?" I said, looking back to the first guy.

"We want what you've got." He started. "We want your ammunition. Your supplies. Your safety."

"I...don't know if- I can't do th- "

"If you don't get us what we want, I'll make sure your kid won't ever see the light of day." I looked at him wide eyed and speechless.