Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Sophie's POV

*****

Six months. It had been six months since Carl lost his memory, and he still didn't remember me. Although, we were slowly making friends again, it wasn't and would never be the same.

I sat in our...I mean- my store, leaning against the back wall, with crossed legs and a comic book in my hands. I had a cereal bar balanced on my baby bump, which settled as a table.

It was quiet. It had been quiet for a long time. I didn't want to speak...I didn't really have a purpose to speak. I guess...I had sort of become cold over time. I wasn't a mean person- I just only spoke if I was spoken to. I wasn't the chatty girl who started conversations any more.

Although, there's one person who I always felt comfortable talking too.

"Hey, where are you?" I heard Glenn call as he wandered into my store.

"Down here." I said, waving a hand up, so he could see it over the counter. He walked round and sat on the bed in front of me. He wasn't alone.

Alex sat on his lap and smiled towards me. I half smiled back. "Hey, AC." I said, waving.

He waved back. "He-o" he said- I could obviously tell that meant "hello".

"I've got the day off, with this little guy, and Maggie took Addie to playgroup...so...what do you want to do today?" Glenn asked. 

I shrugged, and picked up the cereal bar, taking a bite out of it.

"Aww, come on. We've gotta do something. You don't want to make AC upset, do you?" He replied, putting on a childish voice, and shaking Alex a little. Alex looked towards me and pouted. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't know, Glenn. You pick." I said, stifling a laugh at Alex's put on pout.

He looked up, and thought for a little while, before doing a 'I know' sort of face.

"What?" I said, sensing some sort of slyness going on.

"Let's...prank Maggie." I raised an eyebrow.

"okay...why?" I replied, putting down the comic.

"Well, it's something to put us in a good mood, isn't it?" he said, with a know-it-all grin.

"I...guess. So, what does this prank entail?" I asked, slightly intrigued.

"So, Maggie comes back from playgroup with Addie at...two." I nodded. "Knowing her, she'll fall asleep, and when she does, she doesn't wake up. Maggs is a heavy sleeper."

"So, what are you getting at?" I said.

"Well...deep sleep, plus the PVA glue I found in a store cupboard equals a great prank." I turned to the floor and laughed.

"So, what? you're literally just going to squirt glue all over her?"

"That's just the first part. Look, you need to get out of here. You've done nothing but stay inside, re-reading the same comics you've read about one hundred times. I know you enjoy it, so why don't you...go out to the woods and collect some leaves." My eyes lit up when Glenn said the words "Go out to the woods."

I was finally given actual permission to go into the woods. A grin spread across my face. "So...leaves, glue, and a sleeping Maggie, hmm?"

Glenn rubbed his hands together, and pretended to laugh evilly. "How old are you?" I said, laughing. 

"That's a rude question, young lady."

I was about to reply, but Alex copied Glenn's fake evil action, making us both erupt into laughter.

"Right." Glenn said, as we composed ourselves. "You go, collect some leaves, have some fresh air, be back in...an hour, okay?" He said. "It's one twenty." He got up and tugged my shirt sleeve, pulling me up.

"If I don't come back, come and get me. I don't have a watch." I said, and he nodded. Then we both walked out of my store, closely followed by little AC, and we separated.

I went out, through the side gate, with my knife in my holster and into the woods. I went over to the same tree stump I had began carving names into, and sat down, pulling out my knife.

An hour was plenty of time.

Carl's POV

Recently, I had been having strange feelings in my head...and occasionally weird visions which are unexplainable. I hadn't told anyone because it would probably just weird them out.

"Hey" I said, as Judith walked into my store.
She was a frequent visitor.

She gave me a friendly smile and then walked over to where I was, before jumping onto the bed and sitting next to me.

"I...found something in my old backpack. I thought you'd like to see." She said, looking around in her pockets. She found what she was looking for, and then passed it to me.

In my hand, I was now holding a scrunched up, dirty and partially torn piece of paper.

"Unfold it." Judith said, sitting eagerly up on her knees.

I did as she said and stared at it for a few moments. I furrowed my eyebrows in thought and concentration, and then closed my eyes, feeling a slight pain in the front of my head.

"Do you...recognize it, Carl?" Judith said, making me open my eyes.
I looked closely again at the paper. There were two stick figure people, drawn with crayon. One was pink with long hair,  and one was blue, with a hat like mine.

I squinted closer towards the picture. Then, I was hit with a sudden rush of different thoughts and emotions.

I looked at the picture, wide eyed.
"Oh my...oh my God...I" I stuttered, trying to put a sentence together. I scrunched the paper up, and shoved it quickly into my pocket, before grabbing Judith by the shoulders and pulling her into a tight hug.

"Thank you, so freaking much, Judy." I hadn't called her that in a long time.

I kissed her on the cheek and said "I love you." , before running out.

What? She is my sister.