Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Sophie's POV

"Hey, Carl." I said, walking up behind Carl, who stood up in the satellite view tower, taking watch.

"Hi." He said and kissed my cheek. "Wait. It's Thursday. Shouldn't you be at-"

"I bunked." I said, playing with a loose thread on the sleeve of my khaki army jacket.

"Sophie." He said with an adult-like tone to his voice.

"Ugh, not you too. I don't want to go to that shit hole. It's boring. I'd rather be outside. You know, doing what I used too." I whined. Carl looked at me and sighed. "Plus...when am I going to use quadratic formula when I need to kill a bitch?" I crossed my arms.

"Fine. Take my knife, do what you want." He said, giving in.

"Thank you!" I smiled and took it out of his holster. "I'll be back for lunch." I said, turning around and began to walk down the stairs.

"Soph, wait." Carl called from behind me and I ran back up the stairs. "Take this." He said, chucking me his water bottle.

"If Michael finds out I let you do this, I'm never gonna hear the end of it, so don't let him spot you." I smiled. "I'll buzz in to Kate, tell her you're ill." He said, lifing up his walkie talkie. "You be careful." I walked up to him and he stood up. I cupped his face in my hands and kissed his lips.

"Yes, sir." I said and we both laughed.

He began undoing his watch. "Take this, too. it'll beep when you've gotta come back. Okay?" I nodded.

"If you're not back in an hour, expect me to come and find you and whoop your sorry ass." He said with a smirk.

"I wouldn't quite call that punishment, but okay." I said, putting his watch on. We laughed again. "I'll see you later. Love you."

"Have fun. Love you too." He said, sitting back down on the stool, looking out, around the airport.

I ran down the steps of the satellite tower and outside. I saw the main fenced entrace, but of course, that would be too easy to sneak by. Michael stood there holding his combat shotgun, chatting with Glenn. I knew I'd get a mouthful from him too, if he saw me.

I could vaguely hear their conversation...nothing interesting. They were talking about the soccer teams they rooted for before this all started.

I looked around, before I heard Glenn say "I'm gonna grab my water. I left it inside."

Crap. I thought to myself, looking for a place to run. I looked next to me and saw, in the close distance, one of the airport buses were parked. The only other closest place was a whole other building, but that was in the opposite direction to where I wanted to go.

I was so very screwed if Glenn saw me. Sometimes the 'big brother' figure doesn't play out well when you rebel against the rules.

"Hey, Glenn, wait. You dropped a clip." Michael said, and Glenn turned around. I sighed in relief and ran to the bus, hiding behind it. After he picked up his clip, he carried on walking and I watched as he went past where I was standing.

I looked around and realised I was on the forest side, opposite the runways. I ran up to the fences and stuck Carl's knife in my holster belt, before grabbing onto the wire and pulling myself up. I stuck my boots into the engraved parts of the fence and balanced just before the top of the fence. I chucked the water bottle over.

There was barbed wire in front of me, at the top, which I had to avoid. I carefully reached one leg over and then the other, with my hands still gripping to the inside of the fence.