Chapter Fifteen: Scotland

Hi! Sorry for the delay!

I didn't have much time, as I was studying for my exams...

Still! here it is:

Chapter Fifteen: Scotland

We rode much slower the next day. He said that we had to hurry now, as we were detected at Martha’s home and she was still alive to tell. He also mentioned that we wouldn’t be stopping anywhere else but the woods for the night until we were in Scotland. He set up a long list of rules, which had to be obeyed. By me, of course, but he also followed them. One of them said that I was to stay in his line of vision at all times. When I asked him about bathroom times, he said “even then” and that got me furious. I didn’t talk to him for ages, until he caved in. He apologised and granted me this one freedom of being alone during “potty breaks.”

Apart from that, I was exhausted. We had been riding forever, making no stops whatsoever, not even for water.

“Nathaniel.” I said, fatigue now numbing my tongue, restricting my speech. “I need to take a break. Maybe it’s time to rest now.”

“Miss Moore, I am afraid we cannot do that under any circumstances.” He said, looking at me now, his face a mess from the overgrown stubble and his hair a fuzzy mess. His vibrant green eyes were now dull and overtired, he needed rest too.

“Suit yourself Mr. Greene” I declared, stopping on my horse, “But I am in need of rest and I am planning to get some.”

I dismounted and tied the horse to a nearby tree. I heard him stop a few feet away from me. Finally, with much hesitation he got off the horse, and came to my side.

“At least let me choose a concealed place.” He said, towering over me.

“Fine.” I muttered, “Can we walk?”

In response, he took the reins of his horse and started to walk; I took my own and walked with him.

He led me to a small, undefined clearing, hidden from the eye.

“How do you do that?” I asked, sleepily.

“Do what?”

“Find places like this.”

He hesitated, “Experience.” He said after a bit.

The war. I should have guessed. This was a sensitive subject for him.

He said that we would rest until dawn, and then, we had to move again. I didn’t argue, at least we were getting some rest.

“Goodnight Nathaniel.” I whispered when I had settled on the ground, wrapped in the quilt.

He snored in response and I slept.

The next morning he woke me up by dripping drops of icy water on my face. I stirred, trying to sleep, but he didn’t stop.

My eyes flew open and my eyes narrowed, I smiled and leapt.

He didn’t expect this, jumping back from me he took a few steps back, weighing his options. I stood on the quilt, now the morning chill drilling through my skin.

Then with one quick motion, I lunged at him, diving through the air. He dodged and broke into a fast run. I ran after. Running in my skirt was not easy, so I pulled them up, unaware of how that might look, but not caring whatsoever. I ran after him, my heartbeat speeding up. Some distant, alien emotion took over me and I started laughing.