Chapter Four: Playing with Fire

Hey guys, the newest installment of The Raven is here!

Thanks for sticking with me.

Sorry if there are any mistakes! Enjoy!

Chapter Four: Playing with Fire

“Nathaniel Greene at your service Miss Moore.” He bowed, his curls dangling from his head.

And with that I realised that I was a goner.

It took a while to regain the control over my senses. And tentatively, after a minute or two of dumbness, I spoke:

“So what is your plan now Mr. Greene?” Annoyed at his obviously stunning – and unexpected – appearance.

“We are to travel in the direction of Scotland, for I have to ensure your safety and wellbeing. If your relatives were to find you, they would undoubtedly force you to marry the Duke, even if they have to drag you to the altar against your will. That is a promise.” He explained.

“Scotland? But we’re in the south-est possible corner of England. I have no change of clothes, no money, no food or drink. How do you expect me to make a journey that long without bare essentials Mr. Greene? I am a Lady after all, even in men’s clothes. Secondly, why do we have to go to Scotland? There are plenty of other places we could go where nobody will be able to identify me.” I was getting upset. Seriously upset.

“If you brought yourself to develop any ounce of trust for me, put it in me now and trust me. I will get you to safety. That is my duty. My priority.” He said, looking straight at me, as if I were an obligation, which according to him, I was.

“Why are you doing this? What do you want in return?” I questioned.

“I’m just following orders Miss Moore. And don’t ask from who they’re coming from, it is too early in the day for you to know such things.” He answered when I was getting ready to ask him that very same question. My curiosity was two steps ahead of me, but his wit was about seven steps ahead of my curiosity.

“Well…” I mumbled.

“Miss Moore you may go and fetch your horse now, we must not waste any more time.” He said and I sucked in my breath, chuckling nervously.

“About that… I’m sorry but the horse was stolen.” I said hesitantly.

His calm, composed expression was now utterly transformed. He glared at me, his green gems of eyes narrow. His whole face now showed one emotion and one only: rage.

“How did you let this happen Miss Moore?” He demanded his voice furious.

I definitely wasn’t expecting that.

“I… um… there were thieves in the woods, well at least they looked like thieves. They caught up as I was letting the horse catch some breath, and when I heard them I hid. It was the only logical thing to do in my situation. They almost found me too, but I was well wrapped in my cloak. Thank god.” Talk about spilling the beans…

“I’m very sorry for what I’ve let happen.” I said softly, staring at the leaf padded forest floor.

“It’s alright. Come Miss Moore make haste, we must continue our journey.” He said, his voice softer now.

I mounted and the horse started to move, causing me to lose balance and hook my arms around Nathaniel’s waist tightly. He stiffened at first, but as he figured out why I had done such an inappropriate thing, he relaxed under my palms. I felt the warmth of his body radiating through his clothes. I wanted to trace my hands around his chest and caress it, but I didn’t dare, it would be most unacceptable.

After about an hour of riding, exhaustion started to take over and I began to feel drowsy. I could barely keep my eyes closed. And eventually, they did close…

When they opened again, I wasn’t on the horse anymore; I was lying on the ground, with my left leg, shoulder, arm and hip hurting. I sat up slowly, blinking savagely.

“Thekla!” I heard Nathaniel’s muffled cry: “Thekla!”

I hit the ground again then, my eyelids locking. And so I succumbed to the indulgent sleep. I took over me, enveloped me in silence, in warmth, in comfort. And for a while, it cast my troubles away.

Let me go, I wanted to whisper, but my lips could no longer move. Just let me go…

I felt something wet and freezing under my palms.

Leaves.

I smelled something rotten, something nauseating.

Sulphur.

My throat was dry, I couldn’t speak

Let me go. Just let me go.

My eyes flew open and I sat up briskly. Sharp pain coursed through my left side. I winced. I was in the woods. It was a cold, cloudy morning. The fog uneasily settled among the trees…

A fire was lit a few feet away from where I lay. The smell was coming from there. One chocolate colour horse was tied to a tree, eating some apples.

I was still in Matthews clothes, but something was covering my clothes, a shawl.

Mr. Greene wasn’t here. Had he left me here? In the middle of nowhere?

I heard the crunch of frosty leaves. I clutched the shawl close to my chest, my eyes widening in terror.

Nathaniel stepped into the clearing. His emerald eyes bloodshot, his hair a mess. He froze at my sight and his whole expression brightened when he saw me sitting up.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Are you all right?” He said at the same time.

“I’m quite alright Mr. Greene” I took the liberty of speaking first, “Thank you upon inquiring.”

“You fell asleep and fell off the horse.” He explained, “When I came over to you, you were asleep on the ground, so I picked you up and carried you until I found a safe place to rest for the night.”

I blushed. How embarrassing. I remembered what had happened the previous night. Nathaniel came over to the fire, throwing a few more wet branches into the flame. The fire crackled.

“What is that rancid smell?” I complained.

“Sulphur.” He said matter-of-factly.

“What for?”

“It keeps the wolves away.” He seemed to know a lot about life in the woods.

“Mr. Greene, Why are we travelling through the forest?” I asked, suddenly wishing for some comfort of a bed.

“We need to remain invisible, we don’t need trouble.” His eyes bore into mine, his beautiful, vivid shade of green. I fully noticed his features now. His eyebrows and eyelashes were the colour of onyx, providing a perfect frame for eyes like his. Mesmerising.

Startled, I broke the eye contact, suddenly feeling ashamed of my boldness.

“Mr. Greene, why are we to go towards Scotland?” I repeated my question from yesterday.

“It’s safe there.” He said.

“Safe? Safe from what, from who?”

“There are a lot of things you do not know Miss Moore. You don’t know who you are, and what you’re worth. You still haven’t realised that the very reason I brought you here is to protect you, you still do not understand what a danger you’re in.” That got me puzzled.

“What do you mean?” I asked, frowning. He was confusing me.

He didn’t answer; he just kept fiddling with the fire.

“This is something serious isn’t it?” I whispered. Pathetic.

Nathaniel dropped what he’d been doing in the fire and came over to my side, sitting face-to-face with me.

“Now, listen carefully.” He started and I braced myself for the priceless truth.