Chapter - Freshman Year

After a couple of days of tries, we gave up on building the damn tree house. She asked her servants to finish the rest. I’m still not surprised. I had sneaked in her room almost every night of the summer. However, my mother enrolled me to sing in the local church every Sunday. Many people appreciated that. Sara forced her parents to hear me sing the prayers, but since her father had to go on a business tour and her mother was busy with her friends, she came with her maid Ferry. I always had a doubt that Ferry knew about the late night adventures we did.

Summer was coming to an end and we were about to start our high school in a week. I got admission in the Thomas Mills High School, which was an amazing school compared to others in Framlingham. Sara enrolled in the same school. Now that was surprising. Being an excel student and a millionaire’s daughter she will be going to a normal school.

I will never forget the first day of freshman year. She was wearing the most casual clothes she owned and yet she managed to turn almost everyone’s head while walking in the corridor. My heart skipped a beat. She was looking gorgeous! Like a evil angel. She wore denim shorts, white shirt and checked red jacket, paired up with red skateboard shoes. She let her hair lose, which flipped  up and down while she walked. So smoothly and with ease she had everybody falling for her.

She acted completely like a snob, I thought she would avoid me like she did in middle school but she proved me wrong and hung around me while collecting the schedule, finding the lockers and the homerooms till the first class started. She backfired the bullies harassing me because of my thick nerdy glasses and the hearing aid. She can be an ultimate B!+(# anytime, anywhere. She had anger management issues, I bet!

I made a couple of friends. Ron, who was a ginger just like me, going to the same drama class and Bruno, a blonde and shy guy cursing every minute and having music class with me. They seriously fell for Sara before they knew she was my best friend. Sara made friends with them easily and I could see Ron blush while shaking her hand. Again, I’m not surprised.

She had literature class with me. While I was settling down, I saw Sara cursing a nerd. I felt really uncomfortable. She did not have to pretend to be so snobbish. I desperately wanted to talk her now, but she was racing around the classes. In the lunch hour I tried to get hold of her. I pulled her to the parking lot to have privacy.

I said, “Blondie! What are you doing? So much of bad attitude? Are you okay?”

She sighed and replied with coldness in her voice, “They want me to be mean, that’s not my fault.”

Confused I asked her, “Who wants you to be mean?”

She replied gritting her teeth, “Those low lives. They know I am from the Uber family, so they are literally worshipping me. I bet they will praise me even if I puked in their lunch trays. I don’t want to be treated special, that’s the reason I joined this public school.”

I smiled in disbelief and tried to calm her. She is really a unique person. I have never seen somebody like her.

In next few weeks she was one of the popular girls of the school. Almost all the guys in the school drooled over her. She did not give attention to any of them. I’m not surprised. I mean I would ide for people to treat me normal, here she was treated like a princess, but she did not find it any significant at all. Sadly due to school hours I could not stay over her place, except on ocassional Fridays, when she was free from the family balls and parties.

She has a very reserved attitude. Not everyone knows her well. Not even her parents. They neglected her a lot and her brother was going through the same treatment. His name was Sir Robert Uber. He was just 10 years old and we both enjoyed each other’s company. He tried to teach me how to play video games. I never really owned one so he let me have a couple of them sometimes. In return I taught him how to play the guitar. We both shared the same liking to Van Morrison’s music.

I managed to pass with the least score in my subjects except in music, whereas Sara excelled in all. She was perfect in Math, Literature, Spanish and Drama. She helped me in Literature, but the rest of the subjects, I was on my own.

It was mid-November when I realised that Sara’s birthday was coming up on the 1st of December. Her mother planned a ball for her 15th birthday. This meant that I will need to suit up. I planned to write her a song, as there is no other thing I could give her. She had everything.

Now the only thing I needed was a suit.