Semifinals - Take Me to the End - Jay Rowan

Water rushed into my body and the force pulled me and my dagger right out of the ground. The grip I had on my hilt was tight but not tight enough and the currents racing around me decided to play a game. A game called Take The Dagger From Jay And Then Slam It Into His Thigh.

My dagger slipped from my grasp and I tried to grapple for it but it zoomed out of my reach, flickered around a bit before zipping right back at me and found it's mark in my leg. I screeched in agony, losing whatever supply of air I had. I clutched at the bubbles flitting to the surface but they escaped my flailing hands.

Everything became muffled and black spots appeared in my vision. My movements became feebler and feebler until I just have up and let the water float my body in the soothing currents. It caressed my limp body and I sank to the seafloor. I closed my eyes to welcome the beautiful bliss called death...

Jay...

My eyes fluttered reluctantly at the mystic voice. It sounded soft and high-pitched. Kind of like a ghost of a young girl.

Jay...

There it is again! The voice seemed closer. I swiveled my head around but my eyes only picked up the murky darkness of water.

C'mon Jay... The mysterious voice whispered, even closer. But this time, I recognized it.

Jess? I asked in my head.

Get up, Jay! Get up and fight like the fighter we know you are. You haven't failed us! Win these Games! I know you can do it, but does the world? Show them what you're capable of, big bro. Show them.

I nodded determinedly and pushed off the sandy seafloor. I swam towards the surface, leaving the familiar sounds of my dead family behind me. I was an orphan and only child now, but my family wanted me to push onwards. And, in the name of the Rowans, that's just what I'm gonna do!

My lungs ached and shrieked at me to feed them air but the surface was still several feet above my head. But I kicked out with renewed strength as my family whispered encouragement.

I was about a foot underneath the top when a hand reached down and scooped my skinny body, lifting me clear of the water.

We're always with you, Jay. Remember that. My younger sister murmured.

I was thrown to the floor of a building by the blurry figure before passing out from lack of oxygen.

It was probably only a few minutes before I woke up to the cold feeling of a blade tracing the curve of my back. The tip dipped down into the small and I shivered slightly.

The blade was suddenly pulled away with a whistle. I flipped onto my back and caught the blade just inches from my heart.

I gritted my teeth and pushed up and away from my body as I raised my gaze at whoever was trying to kill me.

Peter Mask.

The guy I think lost his girlfriend to the Thirteen's explosion but, then again, what would I know. I'm not from Thirteen.

"You don't have to do this!" I muttered. Peter's eyes narrowed and he thrusted the dagger down harder.

"Yes, I do! For Melody, I'll win! Even if it means killing you," Peter grunted.

"Oi! Peter! What's going on?" A male voice called from behind me.

Peter looked up for a second to answer. I took that opportunity to yank the dagger from his slackened hand and slam the hilt between his eyes. He gave a grunt of surprise before his eyelids fluttered closed and he swayed, falling backwards and landing with a loud thud.

I heard two gasps, one female and one deeper. The thumps of two sets of feet echoed around the bare concrete room and a boy and girl stepped into the room.

"What did you do to Peter!" The male roared, hefting a javelin. The girl narrowed her eyes and slipped an arrow out of a quiver and fitted it to a bowstring.

I held my hands up defensively. "I didn't do anything unjustified. He tried to kill me first."

"You killed Peter?!" The girl shrieked. Her hands were shaking with fury.

"No, no!" I shook my head hurriedly and took a step back. "He's unconscious," I twisted my mouth in a thoughtful frown. "Hopefully."

The boy's face screwed up in anger and he made a step forward. My dagger sailed through the air before jamming into his chest. He looked down at it in surprise and the girl gasped as his knees buckled and he fell.

The girl took one look at me and raised her bow to take a shot but another dagger flew in between her eyes and she also fell.

The building shook and threw me to the ground. Debris fell from the roof as I leaped up and raced to the window.

"Oh, sh*t," I breathed slowly.

Buildings were crashing down on the very furthest outskirts but tumbling at an alarming speed. I couldn't see what was smashing them but a flicker in the horizon told me its the Capitol's doing. A huge wave was slowly forming, most likely from the skyscraper's splashes.

I back pedaled to the other window facing the arena and jumped. As soon as I hit the water, however, I knew I was in trouble. Several somethings butted into me as I kicked out to swim. My eyes widened as a huge dorsal fin of grey streaked in a circle around me.

Sharks!

I gasped and thrusted away frantically. The sharks kept right on my tail. I kicked out blindly behind me and it connected with a satisfying thunk!

I swam away from the teeming waters and made my way to the concrete slab only yards away from me. However, when I pulled myself up, another tribute had already beat me. A female in her early twenties stood there, wielding a knife and looking very unsure and scared. I took a tentative step forward but she slashed with the knife protectively around herself.

"Don't come any closer!" She yelled at me over the crashing of the water and debris at the borders.

I dropped the dagger in my hand and held my hands up defensively. "I won't hurt you right now but you know we'll have to fight eventually," I pointed out.

She cocked her head. "You're pretty smart for a young one if you can survive this long. I'm Naomi, and you are?"

"Jay," I replied quickly. Naomi nodded.

"Are any tributes following you?" Naomi asked nervously and looked over my shoulders.

I shook my head. "Not that I know of."

Naomi visibly relaxed. "Oh, good."

I slowly folded into a crouch and sat down on the concrete's edge, my feet dangling off the side.

"And now... We wait," I sighed.