XVII. The Duel

The king that had once been so welcoming to me, was now ordering the guards to take me into the dungeons. Victor and Kain both tried to fight the guards off but there were too many of them and I was pulled and locked into one of the cold cells. I could see the bones of past prisoners near the corner of the cell. I began to tremble, rats brushing against my feet. “Victor? Kain?” I exclaimed, frightened.

I was left alone in the cell for what seemed like forever until Victor was finally allowed into the dungeons. He didn’t have the key to the cell or the necessary tools to get me out. Following him, was the leader of the fourth clan, the man that was supposed to kill me. My trembling grew worse. Kain followed close behind, and he was the first to approach me.

“Victor has challenged Marcus to a duel,” Kain explained calmly, although I was curious as to why he wasn’t the one fighting for me, “If Victor wins, you live-”

“-and if he loses?” I asked in horror, but Kain gave me a knowing glance, although he stayed at my side.

Victor didn’t look at me once as he prepared to battle Marcus, the leader of the fourth clan. I was afraid. Afraid that I would lose one of my newest, yet oldest friends. Victor had been my friend just as long as Kain had, only I hadn’t noticed. Victor had been there to leave me little thoughtful gifts when I was younger, to clear any stray branch from my path that I might later stumble on, and even now, to save my life.

“Victor, don’t do this!” I exclaimed, afraid what would happen if Victor went on with the duel. I would gladly die in his place, if it meant that I would end the conflict that was tearing this dysfunctional family apart.

Victor shook his head, he wasn’t going to listen to me. He was in this until the end, I could tell by the way he tightened his empty fist, his other hand fastened on his sword. My heart swelled, suddenly aware that a man I barely knew was prepared to fight to the death for me. Not even Kain, the boy that had welcomed me all of this time at the castle, was prepared to sacrifice himself. In fact, he looked content watching the battle rather than entering it.

A bell rang from somewhere overhead and the two men sprung to life, slashing and jabbing in a series that was too fast for me to even comprehend. Marcus thrust his sword towards Victor, who narrowly dodged the deathly blow, swinging his sword around to land a sickly blow on Marcus' back. Marcus let out a growl as he recovered from the blow, returning to a protective stance. He had a vicious glow in his eyes, and I knew he would make Victor pay for injuring him. Rapidly, Marcus slashed at Victor, who jumped back, avoiding blow after blow.

That was, until he was finally cornered against the wall, like a mouse by a cat. In the dim lighting of the room, Marcus looked almost otherwordly. His pleasure was unable to be missed as he rose his sword, deciding which area he would plunge it into. Would he go for the arm, and allow Victor to suffer a slow, painful death? Or would he go for the chest, make it a swift, timeless death, and move to me for his next kill?

"Kain, do something!" I cried to Kain, accidentally distracting Marcus.

The blow Marcus had planned for Victor's heart had softened, leaving nothing more than a few cuts along his chest. The momentary victory gave Victor a change to rebel, pushing Marcus away from him and landing a solid blow against his back once more. In agonizing pain, Marcus turned around to stop Victor, but instead was welcomed by the blow that would kill him. Victor's sword smashed into Marcus' chest and within a few seconds, the light drained from his body and he fell to the floor.

Panting, Victor ordered one of the guards to release me from captivity, and the metal gates slammed open. I ran immediately towards Victor, who had collapsed on the ground next to Marcus. His chest was covered in blood, that was continuing to gush from his wounds. Kain fetched Dr. Johnson immediately, who's eyes opened wide at the sight of the dead clan leader and Victor. I was asked to remove Victor's shirt, and did so without flinching.