XVI. The Tattoo

“What do you remember?” I asked Victor curiously. Anything he could tell me about my past, I would cherish. Anything whatsoever, even if it was something embarrassing I’d done, or something that I would eventually regret.

“You spent most of your time with Kain,” he explained, obviously nervous about finally getting this off of his chest, “I was jealous. I had no friends and although I call this place home, I’ll never belong here like Kain does,” he paused, sighing, “I guess I just thought you were so beautiful that I wanted to be the one spending time with you and pleasing you.” All of those times that I had fallen as a child, had been times that Victor had sworn that he could have caught me if he was in Kain’s position.

I was so embarrassed that I couldn’t think of a word to say. I’d been admired as a child, even now? I hadn’t even recognized or acknowledged Victor until yesterday, and he’d been admiring and caring for me all of this time. I couldn’t remember him, but he didn’t mind. He was used to being forgotten.

“I found a book,” Victor said, pulling a piece of crumpled paper out of his jean pocket, “It was a spell book, and this was it’s love spell,” he explained, gathering the book it was originally from and turning to the page that had nothing but little scraps at the bottom. Victor could finally see the few words that he’d forgotten to say all those years back, left on the book of spells as a scrap.

“I didn’t realize that the last half of the last sentence was missing when I tore the page out, so when I tried to use it I couldn’t finish,” Victor explained, pointing to the warning label at the bottom of the page which warned of the dangers of incomplete spells, “and then I never saw you again, and rumor spread that you died and I couldn’t help but think that it was because of what I did...” Victor explained, trailing off, trying to contain his emotions.

This was the first time he’d ever told someone of all of the problems he’d faced as a child. All of the loneliness and desperation he’d felt, and all of the desire he’d had to make me his. He was finally able to release and come to terms with what he’d done, because I was here, in the flesh, in front of him, accepting him. His only punishment was that I was without my memory, which he could handle much better than my death.

“I’m so glad you’re alive,” Victor whispered, wrapping his arms around me. He was just so happy to have me back, he couldn’t contain it.

For a time, Victor and I talked. He shared with me bits and pieces of my past and surprises he’d planted for me so he could see my smile. At some point, Victor had noticed the IV on my back, the tattoo that Kain had noticed when I’d first arrived that I hadn’t paid much attention to since.

“What is that?” Victor asked, his voice cold as if he was scared.

I had to bend in an obscure angle to see what he was talking about, shrugging when I faced him again. “I’m not exactly sure.”

Victor held me for a moment, before finally coming to terms with what he’d discovered, and what he had to tell me. “Isabelle, you’re in severe danger. I don’t know why, but you have Clan Four’s marking on your back,” he began, “that means that you’re marked as a member of the Arganian Military and are to be terminated.”

“Terminated?” I asked, my voice shaky, although I already understood what he meant.

“As much as I hate to say this, I think we should get Kain. He’ll be able to talk to the king better than I will. Maybe we can sort this out.”

So we ventured back to Kain’s room together, knocking lightly as it was still early in the morning. I was growing exhausted, but it didn’t matter now. We needed answers, as soon as possible.

A sleepy Kain opened his door, shocked to see me in the presence of Victor. Protectively, Kain made a move to pull me towards him and away from Victor, but Victor stopped him, placing his own arm in Kain’s way.

“Isabelle is with me of her own will, but we’ve come to speak with you,” Victor explained, a poorly disguised venom in his words.

“What is this about? It’s nearly sunrise!” Kain complained, excusing whatever business Victor had as unimportant.

“As the head of the Pylanian military I’m disappointed that you didn’t notice this sooner but Isabelle is marked to be terminated by Clan Four,” Victor explained, pointing out the dark IV on Isabelle’s back.

A look of utter horror crossed Kain’s features. This was real, Kain’s expression confirmed it.

I drew closer to Victor, frightened of what would happen. I hadn’t even regained my memories yet, I didn’t want to die with an unsolved mystery haunting me. I wanted my memories before I died.

“Have you spoken to father yet?” Kain asked concerned, jealous that I was searching for comfort from Victor rather than him.

“No, I thought it would be best if you did,” Victor explained, rubbing my back lightly with his palm. I had to admit, Victor was better at comforting than Kain was. Victor was more calm, and although he wasn’t as tough as Kain was, I knew he could protect me from the king if need be.

“You’re probably right.”