IV. The Introduction

It was finally time for the dinner Kain's family had arranged. I was nervous to meet them. Especially after finding out that his family was royal. They were the royal family of Pylane. Although I wasn't sure if I had lived in or known about Pylane in the past, they were royal and having dinner with them was a big deal. I would have to be on the top of my game.

Like a gentleman, Kain escorted me to the dining room. Once inside, the sight was overwhelming. I recognized Raven immediately although I had never saw her. She had the same dark hair as Kain but she was a bit smaller than he was.

There were three women beside Raven that I would soon come to know as "The Triplets." Sapphire, Caraline, and Eleanor. They all appeared to be in their mid teens. They were Kain's younger sisters. They were all recognizably different than Kain with long platinum blonde hair. They sat tall in their seats with posture that had been perfected with years of training.

At the end of the table sat King Richard III, Kain's father. Beside the king was his wife, who Kain introduced as Queen Liselle. She had striking blonde hair and the same green eyes as the triplets. In fact, all three girls were splitting images of their mother.

Directly next to Queen Liselle was a boy who looked to be about Kain's age. He had an angry look and Kain only gave me his name, trying to avoid lingering on the boy too long. His name was Victor and he was a brunette unlike the rest of the family. I shortly wondered who his mother was. He certainly didn't resemble any of the triplets or their mother.

"Family, this is Angel. Father has provided for her to stay with us for a while-" Kain began, politely introducing me. However he was cut off by Caraline, the meanest of the triplets.

"Why? Is she homeless?" Caraline spat out.

"No Cara. She's been injured by one of our men so it is the least-"

"We don't know that for sure." the King interrupted, his strong voice cutting through the haze of sibling rivalry.

"Regardless," I could hear the resentment in Kain's voice aimed at Cara, "she will be staying with us as our company for the time being."

There was a layer of tension in the room as Kain and I took our seats. Queen Liselle was the first to break it. "That was very sweet of you Raven for allowing Angel access to your wardrobe." the queen commented, her eyes never once meeting her step daughter.

"It was no problem. I'm glad the clothes fit," Raven said, pointing the last bit towards me, "Has Kain shown you to your room yet?"

Kain answered for me, "No, I planned on showing her after dinner."

It was silent yet again and I felt self conscious. Between spoonfuls of soup the triplets whispered with one another, occasionally shooting me a glance that looked less than friendly.

Most of dinner passed relatively calm. The triplets made small talk with the Queen, and the King and Kain discussed military news. Throughout the entire meal, Victor sat with his hair in his eyes, not bothering to eat even a spoonful. Queen Liselle was the first to notice. "Victor, don't let this excellent meal go to waste. Chef will be hurt."

The queen was met with a glance from Victor who instead, stood up. "I wish to be excused." Before he was granted permission he pushed his chair in and left.

Queen Liselle flashed the King a look of fake worry, "Someone has to have a talk with that boy."