VII. The Fortune Teller

After the clans left Kain escorted me to my room. I was confused, unsure of what would happen next. With the possibility of having been attacked by bandits out of the question, we were running out of options. I went to sleep slightly panicked, afraid that whatever memories I had made that day would soon be forgotten. Just like the first half of my life had vanished right before my eyes.

I was woken in the morning by Raven, smiling brightly at me as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I mumbled, still half asleep.

"Come on, sleepy head! Kain is waiting in the dining room for us," Raven explained, placing a dark red dress across the bottom of my bed.

"Where are we going?" I asked, taking the clothes behind the curtain that guarded my bathroom and changing out of my nightgown. I was becoming passively aware of Ravens dark style. I didn't think she had a single bright yellow gown in her wardrobe like the Triplets, but it didn't bug me one bit.

"Father has asked that we visit Madame Galloway," she explained. Elaborating once she noticed my confusion. "She's a fortune teller but we’re hoping she can tell us something about you. Anything really, maybe she'll have a clue as to where we can begin looking to find your home."

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of trusting a fortune teller. They were generally only entertainment for the rich.

When I was dressed I looked strangely like Raven. I was wearing a dark red dress, my hair tucked up in a long auburn ponytail. I was starting to feel comfortable around Raven. She had been nothing but kind to me, and if nothing else, we rejoiced in our mutual hatred of the triplets.

We made small talk as we approached the dining room. It was early in the morning and not the triplets nor the king or queen were awake. In fact, Kain hadn't wanted to wake the head chef so he'd cooked us a small breakfast by himself. It was sitting on the dining room table calling for Raven and I.

The moment we entered the dining room Kain lifted his head, his eyes lit up. I wasn't sure who he was more excited to see until he stood up and met us before we reached the table. First, he gave Raven a hug, "Dear sister," he greeted, passing over to my side moments later. Giving me a soft smile and a gentle hug, he said, "good-morning Angel."

What happened next made me freeze, Kain's soft lips closing on my cheek before turning away to continue his breakfast. I blushed, my hand grazed my cheek. Raven hadn’t noticed and Kain didn’t seem to be phased by his actions. Of course it was only a greeting and I convinced myself it didn’t mean anything.

Breakfast went fast and I helped Kain clean the dishes when we were done. Kain was a simple kind of guy that didn’t like leaving too much work for the chef like the king and queen did.

“You look beautiful this morning Angel,” he complimented, making me embarrassingly aware of Raven’s presence just a few feet behind us. We had been left off in the town square, our driver heading to the market to pick up some groceries for the head chef to make for dinner. The sound of the galloping of a horse could be heard as they made their leave.

The entrance to Madame Galloway's shop was in an alley way a few blocks from the town square. There were very few people around and although it was daylight, it was dark in the alleyway. I stayed close to Kain who, sensing my fear, took my arm protectively.

“Don’t worry, she’ll have to tell us something,” Kain insisted, acknowledging my fear of continuing to be clueless.

Then he opened the door.

I wish I could’ve chosen door number two, because I certainly didn’t want what was behind door number one.