IX. The Apology (Kain's POV)

I waited by Angel’s side all night. At times, I would doze off and wake up in a fright. I was afraid Angel would never wake up. As the seconds became minutes, and minutes became hours, I wondered if what I had done had cost Angel her life. Fortunately, a few hours after we’d arrived home, Angel’s eyes flickered open. The sun was just coming up.

Never before, had I felt so relieved. Was it because I now knew I wouldn’t be responsible for a death? Or, on the other hand, was I only happy because it was Angel that was alive? I couldn’t understand what I felt for this girl, but something was there. Angel seemed confused, as if she had no idea how she’d got back, or at least how I’d found her.

“How are you feeling?” I asked softly. I wanted to make Angel aware of how guilty I felt for causing all of this.

“I’m alright,” Angel’s voice was soft, weak even. She looked tired and cold.

“Are you still cold?” I asked simply, wondering how long I could keep up the small talk. Who was I fooling? I knew what I had to do.

“No,” Angel replied, her voice soft and sweet as always.

“Angel, I’m sorry. I didn’t-” I began.

“It’s fine,” Angel cut me off, her voice was quiet. It seemed that she didn’t want to hear what I had to say, but she would.

“No, Angel! It isn’t fine! I shouldn’t have been so harsh on you. I shouldn’t have blamed you. You’re not an informer or an Arganian spy. I was just wounded and angry with myself and I took it out on you. You’re a kind and gentle girl and I never meant to insult you or hurt your feelings,” I didn’t really know what I should say to make up for everything I had said, “Please forgive me Angel,” I begged.

“I forgive you, Kain. I know I’m a stranger. I could easily be bringing danger to you without knowing,” Angel explained. “If there’s someone after me, I shouldn’t be putting you and your entire family in danger.”

“It doesn’t matter, Angel. We’re in this together okay?” I insisted. I wouldn’t take no for an answer. “You could’ve froze to death in that forest last night, what were you thinking?” I scolded protectively, “Don’t leave again. We’ll figure this out together.”

Angel was too tired to really argue so I fixed a warm bath for her and left her alone to relax for the rest of the day. I decided it was time to talk to Raven and plan out our next move. We had to keep trying to understand what was going on. We couldn’t give up.

I knocked on Raven’s door gently and it opened to my touch. It was early, but I knew Raven was an early riser.

“Did she wake up yet?” Raven asked, although she knew the answer all too well. I wouldn’t have left Angel’s side if she hadn’t woke up.

I nodded though, to do the respectful thing, “Where do we go from here? I’m assuming Madame Galloway’s shop is out of the question.”

“I would assume so unless you’d like another scar for your collection,” Raven joked, “I was thinking of going into the library. We need to find something about the men that attacked us,” Raven pointed out. She was always brilliant at making plans. The library was in the basement of the castle and it was gigantic. It had been out playground when we were younger, our escape.

We’d only ever taken one other person down there.