Chapter 13- Achilles

Start from the beginning

Oh my gosh! This patsi- whatever totally sounded like Lasagna! Lasagna equals Pasta! Patsi-whatever is sort of a Pasta dish! I grinned at Achilles and leaned back in my seat. Turns out, I’m enjoying this night after all.

Achilles saw my smile and his entire body relaxed. The tension eased out of his chest and shoulders and he slumped back in his seat. The waiter arrived shortly after and poured us some wine. Achilles tested it and nodded to the waiter. He then poured for us both and left the wine on an ice-filled bucket in our table.

“This is surprisingly good...” Achilles remarked.

“I agree. The waiter chose well. We should’ve asked Dionysus before trying fancy wine.”

Achilles rumbling laugh filled my ears and I found myself smiling again. “Yes. We should have.”

I noticed him fidgeting in his seat once more as if he was very uncomfortable. He also kept on tugging his bow tie as if he wanted to take it off. I frowned. “Is something wrong?”

He coughed and then shook his head. He sat a bit straighter and then leaned forward. “Actually, there is something wrong... But if I tell you, promise me you won’t tell anyone.” He said with a chuckle.

“Agreed.” I replied feeling very, very curious.

“I hate things like these. I absolutely hate it.” He said and waved his hand around the room to indicate the throng of rich people, the fancy ambiance of the restaurant, and the overall elegance of the hotel.

It took a few moments before his words sunk in.

And then I wasn’t able to help it and I snorted. My eyes widened with surprise and I quickly picked up my napkin to hide my laughter behind it. Achilles looked at me quizzically and my laughter bubbled even further.

A few people around our table glanced at the two of us with judgement in their eyes but I did not mind them and continued laughing instead. It took a while before my laughter died down and by that time, I was already clutching my stomach and trying very hard not to roll on the floor.

“Did I say something wrong?” Achilles asked worriedly.

I shook my head. “It’s just that I don’t like this place too...”

“You don’t?” he gasped.

“Nope. Hate it!” I said with a small smile.

Achilles dropped his napkin and leaned back on his chair. Then he regarded me as if he was not sure that what I said was true. “Sorry if my choice wasn’t to your liking. I just assumed you’d like this place. You’re a princess after all.”

I snorted again. “I don’t really think of myself as a princess. I’m just ordinary me. Yes, I’m the daughter of Hades, the King of the Underworld... But I don’t even have any powers...” I blurted out.

That wasn’t something I went around telling anyone. I did not know what prompted me to tell it to him. I almost wished I could turn back time and stop myself from saying those words. Yes, everyone knows that Aidon and I do not have powers. Some think of us as a disgrace while some believe that our powers would come later in time.

It’s just that I am uncomfortable telling these things to strangers for I do not want their judgement or their pity. I looked up and was about to say something to lighten the situation but Achilles spoke first.