26. fatui in disguise

"Why did you say you know nothing about Makoto's past, scaramouche?"

He forced a smile "i thought maybe it'd be better to keep it as a secret. Now that makoto willingly told you, there's no point hiding it."

Makoto fell a sleep last night on my arms while sobbing till she passed out.

And now me and scaramouche were arguing over stupid things while waiting for her to wake up.

"Should i wake her up?" Scara asks.

"Oh please! Let her sleep."

He frowned and crossed his arms, acting like a total child.

"Hey scara."

"Yeah?"

"Where did you go when you left the palace?" I demanded an answer.

The whole thing about his sudden disappearance bugged me to the point i had to interfere with his reasoning of life.

"Not somewhere specific, i was just traveling around." He lied.

"Then why didn't you say anything to them? Can you realize how desperate makoto became for not knowing why you left?"

He didn't want to answer these sort of questions. Maybe i triggered some sensitive emotions and thoughts for him.

"I couldn't confront them about it, it was so hard. I didn't want to leave them behind and my departure was something none of them were ready for."

"So you just left?"

"I guess."

"Haven't you ever feel guilty over it?"

"I didn't feel guilty though, i regretted it. I regret ever leaving the palace for some shitty stuff i chose to do out there."

"Huh?"

"My lady y/n, can we not talk about this? You're hurting me."

I looked away "can a monster still be hurt and harmed?"

"Are you calling me a monster!?"

"Are you not? If i were ei and makoto, i wouldn't have forgiven you."